And it's not like there weren't options: The Farewell, Hustlers and Little Women were all films both written and directed by women that missed out this year.
On an aside, Greta Gerwig did receive a directing nomination at the Oscars in 2018 for Lady Bird. But hold the applause because it made her only the fifth woman to be thus recognised after Lina Wertmuller, Jane Campion, Sofia Coppola and Kathryn Bigelow in the 90-plus year history of the Oscars.
But Variety's chief film critic Owen Gleiberman said he didn't think the slate of nominees was a "gender-based decision". Eight, with six going to Little Women and one each to Harriet (for Erivo's performance) and Neighbourhood (for Tom Hanks's performance).More news: Australia fires: Ricky Ponting and Shane Warne to play in bushfire fundraiser
The noms will be rolled out in two parts, beginning at 5:18 PT with the following nine categories (in no particular order): Actor in a Supporting Role, Actress in a Supporting Role, Costume Design, Film Editing, Original Score, Animated Short Film, Live Action Short Film, Sound Editing and Sound Mixing.
The pre-dawn Academy Award announcement capped months of ceaseless campaigning by A-listers and studios, revealing which stars and movies have a shot at Hollywood's ultimate prize next month.
South Korean class satire "Parasite", from Bong Joon-ho, secured the final best director slot, meaning once again no women made the shortlist.More news: AJ Hinch 'deeply sorry' for Astros cheating, denies direct involvement
"Bombshell", the female-led drama which depicts the sexual harassment scandal that ousted Fox News co-founder Roger Ailes, was a surprise absence from the best picture list.
"This is something that nobody would have imagined happening ..." She won the Golden Globe for Best Actress (Comedy/Musical) but has been shut out of Hollywood's biggest award show in spite of massive critical acclaim. The grand total of nominations for all of those films combined?
Don't believe me? Watch 1976's "Taxi Driver" and last year's "Joker" in tandem.More news: Player quits Australian Open qualifier after suffering coughing fit in thick smoke
Considering Joker was far from a critical favourite and divided audiences with its portrayal of an isolated loner, the Academy's overwhelming support for the film was unexpected. "Just watch." I didn't even consider a need to assert Jennifer Lopez's nomination because I couldn't fathom them snubbing her. Who are the sizeable percentage of the Academy's director's branch who thought Todd Phillips deserved to join a club that's been denied to all but five women in 92 years?
- Vikings OC Kevin Stefanski Hired As Browns Head Coach
- Virginia men’s hoops falls to Syracuse in overtime, 63-55
- ASB Classic Tournament: Serena wins her first title after three years
- AOC Ignores Dems, Shares Cash With Progressive Candidates
- Gwyneth Paltrow selling $75 candle that 'smells like my vagina'
- Pete Carroll furious after first down spot gives Packers the win
- Iran plane downing: 'Several people detained' for shooting down airliner
- Stephen Colbert Goes Off On Trump Administration For Shifting Stories On Iran
- 50 privacy groups ask Sundar Pichai to safeguard Android users
- Gedson Fernandes Passes Tottenham Medical as 18-Month Loan Nears Completion