Taking to Instagram, the 24-year-old shared before-and-after snaps from bed upon learning she received an Academy Award nomination for Best Supporting Actress for her turn as Amy March in "Little Women", her first Oscar nod.
Despite massive films from the past year being directed by women, not one female was recognized in the category.
Off the top of our heads, we're thinking of Little Women (Greta Gerwig), Hustlers (Lorene Scafaria), Booksmart (Olivia Wilde), The Farewell (Lulu Wang), A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood (Marielle Heller), Honey Boy (Alma Har'el), and Harriet (Kasi Lemmons). So while Little Women has a whopping six Oscar nominations, there's still something that doesn't feel quite right. As Issa Rae pointedly nailed it when introducing the category for Best Director: "Congratulations to those men".More news: German Authorities Evacuate 14,000 People After Finding Two 330lb WWII Bombs
And, as ever, Twitter is not.
In the history of the Academy Awards, only five female directors have managed to get a nod in the Directing category.
First-time Oscar nominee Scarlett Johansson achieved a rare feat on Monday when she was nominated for two acting honors, which will be doled out at the 92nd Academy Awards next month. Saoirse Ronan is referencing Greta Gerwig's movies Little Women and Lady Bird, both of which she starred in. At the 2018 Golden Globes, Portman announced the Best Director category. All three directors garnered critical praise for their respective films, but apparently not enough to earn nominations. The two women found it unjust that Gerwig did not receive the Best Director nomination. But to me, Greta, since she started, has made two ideal films, and I hope when she makes her next flawless movie, she gets recognized for everything, because I think she's one of the most important filmmakers of our time. At the tender age of 13, Saoirse Ronan had received the supporting actress nomination for her terrific performance in the film called Atonement in the year 2008.More news: Oscar nominations 2020: Facts and figures
"I think everybody is angry and quite rightly so".
Speaking to reporters, the President of ABC Television Entertainment in the US, Karey Burke, said: "Let me confirm it now".
While Gerwig was a strong contender, she is not the only woman who was snubbed by the Academy Awards.More news: Pete Carroll furious after first down spot gives Packers the win
- Pakistan and Bangladesh cricket boards to meet in Dubai
- Gigi Hadid Called as Potential Juror for Harvey Weinstein Trial
- Gwyneth Paltrow selling $75 candle that 'smells like my vagina'
- Nikkietutorials Transgender Youtube Video Is Extremely Powerful
- Vikings OC Kevin Stefanski Hired As Browns Head Coach
- Hazardous bushfire smoke over Melbourne effects Australian Open players
- 50 privacy groups ask Sundar Pichai to safeguard Android users
- China`s Geely automobile in talks to buy stake in Aston Martin
- Australia fires: Ricky Ponting and Shane Warne to play in bushfire fundraiser
- Black Shark 3 Could be the first Phone to Feature 16GB RAM