In Idaho, which produces about a third of USA potatoes, production is forecast to fall five percent from past year, USDA reported.
The U.S. harvested 420 million hundredweights past year.
The U.S. Department of Agriculture says adversarial weather put a strain on potato production across America this year, accounting for a 6.1% decline, the lowest potato tally seen since 2010.
"This is one of the lowest crops on record."More news: Real Housewives' Porsha Williams Engaged AGAIN with Dennis McKinley
This snack is at particular risk because French fry makers typically favor large potatoes, and failing harvests have meant that spuds are smaller this year.
Canada's production estimates are due out on Friday, MacIsaac wrote in a recent blog post. In Idaho, the top producer, output is forecast to fall 5.5%, the report said. "Potatoes are. 20 percent more expensive than a year ago and frozen fries up 17 per cent from a year ago".
"French-fry demand has just been outstanding lately, and so supplies can't meet the demand", Travis Blacker, the industry-relations director with the Idaho Potato Commission, told Bloomberg.
Winter is coming - for our French fries.More news: Spotify's top artists of the decade
In other words, there may be no greater gift this year than asking someone: "Do you want fries with that?"
- European Union mission tells Malta PM to quit immediately over Caruana Galizia case
- Joe Biden says he doesn't need Obama's endorsement
- Pixel 4 Getting December's Android Update Next Week, Here are the Fixes
- Apple announces its best iOS apps and games of 2019
- Mark Zuckerberg won't share details of his secret dinner with Trump
- How to get £280 off an iPhone X today
- Why the Eagles should consider moving on from Doug Pederson
- Jaguars to start Gardner Minshew Sunday against the Chargers
- Watch highlights from Rams' Week 13 win over Cardinals
- Alphabet CEOs Larry Page, Sergey Brin Resign