The feature could prove to be highly useful in situations where stringent security is needed, for example, in banking apps, password lockers, and more.
Qualcomm's latest mobile computing platforms were teased at the company's Tech Summit in Hawaii, where it also announced the new and improved second-gen ultrasonic fingerprint sensor for smartphones. The sensor is now big enough to cover nearly the entirety of the bottom half of a smartphone's display.More news: Top House Democrat wants Mueller findings in impeachment articles against Trump
Qualcomm was the first company to introduce an under-display ultrasonic fingerprint scanner, the 3D Sonic Sensor, the same piece of technology that's now embedded under Samsung Galaxy S10's stunning display. It also enables a 1 in a million accuracy rate vs an accuracy rate of 1 in 50,000 on the current sensor.
The new scanner, which should start appearing in smartphones next year, aims to take a major step forward ahead in biometric technology, not least in being able to scan two fingerprint at once for added security.More news: KINGSTON CRASH: One dead, 16 others hurt during a massive pileup
Besides the improved fingerprint scanning that comes with a larger recognition area, another benefit of the size is that phone manufacturers can implement two-finger authentication for better security.
What's disappointing is that the speed of the sensor remains the same. However, it is not another SoC though but instead, the product is a brand-new ultrasonic fingerprint sensor called 3D Sonic Max.More news: FA Cup third-round draw: Liverpool face Everton, Arsenal take on Leeds
This lines up with recent reports from analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, Barclays analysts, Bloomberg, and others who expect Apple to release an iPhone with both Face ID and under-display fingerprint authentication in 2020 or 2021.
- 'Energised' Greta Thunberg arrives in Lisbon ahead of COP 25 climate summit
- England's Buttler a doubt as New Zealand's Mitchell makes test debut
- NBC, union investigate ‘America’s Got Talent’ racism report
- Qualcomm's Snapdragon 865 is Next Year's Big Processor
- Cam Newton plans to have foot surgery
- World leaders caught on tape, apparently mocking US President Donald Trump
- Director Wes Ball developing new 'Planet of the Apes' movie
- 'Impeachment Post' Seeks To Start Fight between Trump and Zelensky
- IPhone launch schedule may get big shakeup in 2021
- Flyers pull away from Maple Leafs at end, get fifth straight win