Ontario Provincial Police have identified the person killed in a multi-vehicle pileup on Highway 401 as a man from Nova Scotia.
The 401 westbound is shutdown from Joyceville exit 632 to Highway 15 for the investigation. OPP say it involved between 30 and 40 vehicles.
Frontenac OPP Const. Curtis Dick told CBC News that one person had died in the pileup, which involved at least one tractor-trailer. Investigators said they wouldn't be releasing their name until the family had been notified.More news: Vodafone offers AWS "edge computing" to business customers
Paramedics said 16 patients were taken to hospital, three of them with life-threatening injuries.
The westbound lanes reopened shortly after 4:30 a.m. Monday after the Ministry of Transportation checked the road and barriers were intact and the roads were cleared of snow, police said.
The highway would not be reopening anytime soon, Dick added.More news: Root's epic 226 gives England 101-run lead over New Zealand
"Kingston city transit is moving people to an activated emergency warming centre at Rideau Heights Community Centre".
With more snow having arrived overnight Monday, and more in the forecast, commuters in the Greater Toronto and Hamilton areas and as far east as Kingston may want to give themselves a little extra time to get around.
Kingston police were also dealing with a gas leak after an afternoon collision at Princess and Macdonnell streets, a crash that Sgt. Steve Koopman said was also likely weather-related.More news: Director Wes Ball developing new 'Planet of the Apes' movie
- 'Impeachment Post' Seeks To Start Fight between Trump and Zelensky
- Motorola One Hyper arrives with 64MP rear camera and pop-up selfie snapper
- Rep. Nunes sues CNN for $435 million over Ukraine story
- Cam Newton plans to have foot surgery
- Australia repeals law allowing onshore medical care for refugees
- The Engadget Podcast: Do you need Apple's AirPods Pro?
- Amazon Launches First Battery-powered Portable Echo Speaker
- Himesh Reshammiya Replaces #MeToo Accused Anu Malik On Indian Idol 11
- Android’s ‘Focus Mode’ exits beta, adds new scheduling features
- Rugby Australia apologises to Israel Folau as settlement is reached