She wanted a low-carbon form of transport to get to the climate meeting, which was switched at short notice to Spain from Chile due to unrest there.
"We will not stop", she said, referring to herself and other climate activists who have been instrumental in organizing protests around the world to draw attention to the climate emergency.
"People are underestimating the force of angry kids".
Thunberg arrived in Lisbon after almost three weeks at sea, before giving a press conference at the port alongside youth activists and crew members.More news: TikTok accused of gathering private user data and sending it to China
Thunberg doesn't travel by plane because the high emissions associated with air travel. She says she wants adults to listen to the voices of young people and to pay more attention to the scientists and climate experts who say more needs to be done to protect the environment.
Thunberg will take an overnight train from Lisbon to Madrid and is expected to arrive Wednesday to attend the summit, which began on Monday and finishes on December 13.
Members of the worldwide group called Extinction Rebellion held up a banner in Russian that read: "Climate Crisis".
Her arrival coincided with a new scientific report saying there is mounting evidence that the world is getting ever hotter.More news: Motorola One Hyper arrives with 64MP rear camera and pop-up selfie snapper
Her arrival came as the United Nations said this decade will be the warmest on record, with 2019 among the top three hottest years in history.
Meanwhile, a report by the United Nations weather agency released on the sidelines of the climate talks found that the current decade is likely to set a new ten-year temperature record.
While full-year figures are not released until March, 2019 is also expected to be the second or third warmest year since measurements began, with 2016 still holding the record, it said. Eurostat estimates that the average carbon footprint per European is 16,000 pounds (7.2 metric tons) per year.More news: Android’s ‘Focus Mode’ exits beta, adds new scheduling features
- Rep. Nunes sues CNN for $435 million over Ukraine story
- Qualcomm's Snapdragon 865 is Next Year's Big Processor
- Tesla CEO Elon Musk arrives in court for 'pedo guy' defamation trial
- Howard Stern Blames Simon Cowell for Gabrielle Union's "AGT" Controversy
- Revealed! Who the Socceroos will face in Copa America
- "Sentiment Across Country": Congress On Rahul Bajaj's Remark
- 'Impeachment Post' Seeks To Start Fight between Trump and Zelensky
- England's Buttler a doubt as New Zealand's Mitchell makes test debut
- KINGSTON CRASH: One dead, 16 others hurt during a massive pileup
- Z Returns to Spotify on 50th Birthday