Since quarterback Cam Newton has been deactivated by the Panthers for the season, he announced his plans to undergo foot surgery to ensure his return to health in time for the upcoming season. He suffered the Lisfranc injury in the team's third preseason game vs. the Patriots. There have been many questions about Newton's future in Carolina. In what started out slightly spicy, with the fired coach defending the ups-and-downs of nine seasons, Rivera said he was proud of the turnaround under his watch.More news: 'Impeachment Post' Seeks To Start Fight between Trump and Zelensky
Or at least, exercise all options - even one he initially did not want to pursue - in his attempt to do so.
Newton was definitely affected by Rivera's departure.More news: Root's epic 226 gives England 101-run lead over New Zealand
"It's young men like Greg Olsen and Eric Reid, who are going to change this world and make it a better place", Rivera said. "He'll come back and we'll see what happens to him". A healthy Newton would have a tremendous amount of leverage over the organization given the circumstances. "I've just gotta get right". The group agreed the best solution - both for Newton's long-term future and for the team in the short-term - was for Newton to let his foot fully heal. He visited with foot specialist Dr. Robert Anderson last month, with a decision at that time being for no surgery.
This season the 30-year old will have missed more games this season than in his previous eight seasons combined (five previously). Newton did play in the season opener against the Los Angeles Rams, and the next week against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, but it was clear that he wasn't quite right.More news: London Bridge attacker's family 'saddened and shocked'
This story will continue to be updated.
- Director Wes Ball developing new 'Planet of the Apes' movie
- Rep. Nunes sues CNN for $435 million over Ukraine story
- Barr 'disagrees' with DOJ watchdog report that says Russian Federation probe was justified
- Vodafone offers AWS "edge computing" to business customers
- Spider-Man 2 to release in 2021
- Halo: Reach is Now Available on the PC
- Russian-Turkish relations are no alternative to ties with North Atlantic Treaty Organisation , says Erdogan
- Howard Stern Blames Simon Cowell for Gabrielle Union's "AGT" Controversy
- Jeetan Patel appointed England's spin bowling consultant
- Himesh Reshammiya Replaces #MeToo Accused Anu Malik On Indian Idol 11