"The inspector general's investigation is a credit to the Department of Justice", said Kerri Kupec, Justice Department spokeswoman.
"If it follows how his other reports have gone, it will probably include a lot of really damaging information about what the Federal Bureau of Investigation and other parts of the Department of Justice were doing, but it probably won't come down very hard on the people who were doing it", she said.More news: Apple's next iPad Pro could have a mini-LED display
The attorney general is reportedly not swayed by Horowitz's determination that an investigation into the Trump campaign was warranted.
Even after initial internal briefings as attorney general earlier this year, Barr told other Justice officials he had information that bolstered some of his qualms about the department's handling of the Russian Federation probe. Horowitz, however, can not be told to change his report because the inspector general works independently from the Department of Justice.
Earlier this year Barr appointed John Durham, a CT federal prosecutor, to conduct what he said was a broader investigation, which is reviewing actions by the CIA and other intelligence agencies that provided information to the FBI probe of Russian interference in the 2016 election. Barr could decide to go a completely different route and instead of writing a formal letter, he could make his objections known publicly.More news: Halo: Reach is Now Available on the PC
In a speech announcing the recipients of the Third Annual Attorney General's Award for Distinguished Service in Policing, Attorney General Bill Barr warned certain "communities" that they could find themselves without protection if they don't respect the men in blue.
While Horowitz noted in his 2018 report that there is no available evidence that political considerations directly impacted investigative decisions in the Clinton probe and that Strzok was not the "sole" decision-maker on any key investigative actions, he concluded the officials' behavior was still highly inappropriate.More news: Trump Attacks ‘Lover of Peter Strzok’ Lisa Page After Daily Beast Profile
- Switzerland: Tennis legend Roger Federer featured on new silver commemorative coin
- Rockets considering protest over James Harden dunk not counting
- Jeetan Patel appointed England's spin bowling consultant
- JAMES BOND 25: NO TIME TO DIE Character Posters
- Russian-Turkish relations are no alternative to ties with North Atlantic Treaty Organisation , says Erdogan
- Pakistan tycoon hands over $244m to settle United Kingdom corruption probe
- Germany investigates Russian ties to assassination of Georgian exile in Berlin
- Alleged Kendall Jenner homemade intruder arrested for raid
- Putin, Xi inaugurate `Power of Siberia` pipeline to boost energy ties
- Samoa shutting down all services as death toll rises