In June, during a press conference at the G20 Summit in Osaka, Japan, Donald Trump announced that he would seriously consider the invitation of Russian President Vladimir Putin to attend celebrations in Moscow on May 9. He said that he was unsure of his participation due to its timing.
Trump called it "a very big deal celebrating the end of the war".More news: WhatsApp launches 'Catalogs' for small Indian businesses
"It is in the middle of our campaign season, but I will certainly think about it", Xinhua news agency quoted Trump as saying to the media on Friday. The May 2020 parade will mark the 75th anniversary of the victory of allied nations over Nazi Germany in World War II.
Russian Federation holds a military parade in Moscow's Red Square every year on 9 May to celebrate the defeat of Nazi Germany.More news: Which Dolphins' defender who will serve as X-factor vs. Colts?
Trump told reporters in Washington he appreciated the invitation from Putin, but that the parade fell "right in the middle of political season", so he was not sure he would be able to attend.
Several Western leaders, including president Barack Obama, declined to attend the 70th anniversary in 2015 because of Russia's annexation of Crimea the year before. No American president has ever attended.More news: OnePlus 8 Pro to get 120Hz refresh rate display?
The victory parade is a remnant of the Soviet era with Joseph Stalin presiding over the first such celebration in 1945. This year's parade included about 13000 Russian soldiers and 130 pieces of military equipment including tanks.No major foreign leaders were present at this year's ceremonies.
- Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin demands recanvassing of ballots after results show loss
- Russian Napoleon-expert found drunk in river with student’s severed arms
- In Chatteris all are welcome to join this year's Remembrance Day parade
- Electric Mercedes-Benz G-Class confirmed
- Miami Heat not discussing Dion Waiter’s health situation, status with team
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare offers first free DLC
- Woody Allen, Amazon settle suit
- Stephen Curry Could Miss Entire Remainder Of 19-20 Season
- Exiled Cambodian opposition figurehead arrives in Malaysia
- Captain becomes player as Woods picks himself