"At some point, she was sexually assaulted and then left for dead", Hernandez said.
The investigation into the "vicious case" was launched earlier this week after the female victim was discovered by Military Police Officers in the north gate of Edwards Air Force Base in Southern California, Hernandez said.
Los Angeles County Sheriff's Capt. Eduardo Hernandez takes question about an abducted woman during a news conference in Los Angeles, Friday, Nov. 8, 2019. She's since been released from the hospital and is now back in Las Vegas.
Hernandez said that Stanley, 54, and Shaniya knew the woman they allegedly kidnapped and robbed at gunpoint from the North Las Vegas area on or about October 30th.
It's not clear how long the woman in her 40s was in the desert or why she was released.More news: Baghdadis wife revealed ISIS secrets and inner workings after capture
Stanley Alfred Lawton, 54, was arrested Wednesday in Palmdale, California, while a woman officials identified as his 22-year-old daughter, Shaniya Nicole Poach Lawton, was apprehended in the same place early Thursday, reports The Washington Post. It couldn't immediately be determined if the pair had lawyers yet who could speak on their behalf.
It was also revealed that the victim knew the suspects. He confirmed the Lawtons know the victim but are not related to her; he added that there is nothing yet that indicates the crime was motivated by revenge or that there was a ransom plot involved.
"She's very lucky to be alive", Hernandez said.
After kidnapping her at gunpoint, authorities say Lawton and his daughter took her to his home in Palmdale, California. His daughter was taken into custody on the following day, according to inmate records obtained by PEOPLE.
Lawton and Poche-Lawton were being held on bail of $4.5 million and $3.5 million, respectively, the district attorney's office said.More news: Cyclone Bulbul: Operations at Calcutta airport to be suspended
North Las Vegas police were gathering information and didn't immediately have comment.
The LA County Sheriff's office is working with the North Las Vegas Police Department and the FBI on the case, and the two suspects may face federal charges, Hernandez said.
Among the charges against Stanley Lawton, 54, and his daughter Shaniya Poche-Lawton, 22, are kidnapping to commit robbery, attempted murder, rape and robbery, according to the complaint.
They allegedly beat her, sexually assaulted her and brought her to an ATM, forcing her to withdraw money.More news: Convicted murderer who momentarily died says his life sentence has been served
- Bangg tour commences in Dubai; Salman Khan dances with Katrina, Sonakshi
- Question Your Sanity In The First Trailer for The Invisible Man
- Brewers’ Yelich wins second consecutive Silver Slugger award
- Former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg Expected to Run for President
- Chargers QB Philip Rivers scuffles in tough road loss to Raiders
- LeBron James endorses Deion Sanders for Florida State football head coaching job
- ABC cancels 'Fresh Off the Boat,' sets finale for February
- Halle Berry Showcased Her Super Ripped Abs In This Viral Photo
- Celtics' Hayward fractures hand vs. Spurs
- Iraqi PM concedes 'mistakes made' as protesters pushed back in Baghdad