Real Madrid produced an assured display to win 4-0 away to Eibar in a rain-swept Ipurua Stadium.
Barca's captain coolly converted a penalty to put the champions ahead in the 23rd minute.
Both Blaugrana talisman Messi and Ronaldo have now netted 34 trebles in Spain's top tier, although the former Real Madrid forward, having previously played for Sporting CP and Manchester United before joining Juventus past year, had a shorter stay in the division. "[Taking free kicks] is something that he's mastered to perfection". If they do, we try to take advantage.More news: Miami Heat not discussing Dion Waiter’s health situation, status with team
Barcelona next host Celta de Vigo as they look to get back to winning ways ahead of the global break, with Óscar García Junyent's side looking to cause an upset to climb out of the relegation zone.
"After losing, it's nice to win. The other day we had a painful defeat and we had to win today".
Garcia replaced Fran Escriba, who was sacked after the 1-0 defeat by Getafe, remains positive despite Celta now having lost a fifth straight game and sitting 18th.
Barcelona superstar Lionel Messi has proven time and again why he is considered by millions of people across the world as the Greatest of All Time in world football.More news: Alibaba sets eyes on $15bn Hong Kong listing
"We did well in the first half, then in the second, the team dropped physically, but I am very proud of the work of my players".
"We know that there are matches which we haven't won and that always creates instability for morale".
There was bad news for Barca after the fulltime whistle, however, as the club released a statement saying first-choice right back Nelson Semedo was ruled out for around five weeks with a calf injury sustained during the game.More news: Woody Allen, Amazon settle suit
- Captain becomes player as Woods picks himself
- Chelsea fans praise Reece James after superb first start in Palace win
- FC Barcelona coach Ernesto Valverde reserves special praise for Lionel
- Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin demands recanvassing of ballots after results show loss
- Exiled Cambodian opposition figurehead arrives in Malaysia
- Chelsea up to second as Tottenham falter once more
- Miami Heat’s Dion Waiters had panic attack after eating THC-infused edible
- Twitter reacts to LSU's first half of domination against Alabama
- Detroit hosts Vegas after Fabbri’s 2-goal game
- 10,000 veterans march past the Cenotaph — Remembrance Sunday