Stafford, 31, has been on the injury report since Week 4 with a hip issue, but he had only been limited in one practice - back on September 27 - until this week, when the back injury also popped up.
Stafford, who is having arguably the best season of his career with personal bests in passer rating, TD percentage and adjusted yards per attempt, has been battling the injury since last season, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter.
Jeff Driskel is stepping in for Stafford. Driskel is making his sixth career start.More news: Messi gives set-piece masterclass as Barca outclass Celta
Starting right guard Graham Glasgow will also return to the lineup after missing last week with a back injury. By the time Sunday's games are over, sixteen of the league's 32 teams will have started at least two quarterbacks this season. In Week 4, versus the Kansas City Chiefs, he was questionable to play up until kickoff.
NFL Media noted that a big hit Stafford took in the Lions' Week 9 loss to the Raiders could have been the shot that made him unable to keep playing through the injury. "I'm not really anxious about it".
November 10: Stafford is ruled out for the Bears game, as doctors want to perform further tests on his back.More news: Fans are reportedly injured at the Travis Scott Astroworld Festival
Stafford's wife, Kelly, posted a tribute to her husband on Instagram on Sunday morning.
Stafford was limited all week in practice and is officially listed as questionable, but he said Thursday that he's "fine" and would be "good to go" against the Bears.
November 10: Stafford is ruled out for the Bears game, since doctors want to perform more tests on his back.More news: On Berlin Wall Anniversary, Trump Calls Germany "Treasured" Ally
- Captain becomes player as Woods picks himself
- FC Barcelona coach Ernesto Valverde reserves special praise for Lionel
- It looks Like You'll Need Disney Plus To Understand Future MCU Movies
- Fed Cup Final: Kristina Mladenovic puts France 1-0 ahead against Australia
- Need for Speed Heat - Reviews roundup
- Exiled Cambodian opposition figurehead arrives in Malaysia
- Miami Heat’s Dion Waiters had panic attack after eating THC-infused edible
- Stephen Curry Could Miss Entire Remainder Of 19-20 Season
- Miami Heat not discussing Dion Waiter’s health situation, status with team
- Detroit hosts Vegas after Fabbri’s 2-goal game