The father of a black woman fatally shot by a white police officer inside her Fort Worth, Texas, home has died of a heart attack.
According to reports, the father of Atatiana Jefferson-Marquis Jefferson suffered a heart attack this past Saturday night, which caused him to pass away.
Carter tells KDFW that Jefferson, 59, 'just couldn't get back from what happened with his daughter'.More news: OnePlus 8 Pro to get 120Hz refresh rate display?
He died at the Methodist Charlton Medical Center in Dallas, the spokesman said.
Marquis Jefferson, 58, and his daughter Atatiana Jefferson, 28.
'Please keep his family in your prayers and tonight make sure you hug and tell your loved ones how much you love them, ' Carter said.More news: Birthday boy meets the Leafs at morning skate
Atatiana Jefferson was shot in her home by a white officer, who quickly resigned and was charged with murder in what is likely to serve as a stress test of relations between law enforcement and the black community in the region. Police responded after a neighbor of Jefferson's called a non-emergency line and requested a well-being check after noticing her door was ajar and the lights were on.
She had been playing video games with her 8-year-old nephew in her home in the early morning hours of October 12 before being fatally shot by Fort Worth police officer Aaron Dean through her bedroom window.
Civil rights lawyer S. Lee Merritt, who is representing Jefferson's family, said on social media that he was "saddened" to learn of Marquis Jefferson's death and that "he knew and loved Atatiana Jefferson since she was born". He was granted the release and was able to take full control of his daughter's arrangements. He said that he had been denied any involvement in the funeral planning and as his daughter's sole legal heir, it was his duty to arrange it. Jefferson and attorneys for his daughter's relatives ultimately reached a confidential agreement and Atatiana's funeral was rescheduled and held October 24.More news: Liverpool or Man City?
- Forex- U.S. Dollar Rises as Trade Deal Progresses
- Matthew Stafford out against Bears with broken back bones
- Tens of thousands celebrate Japan emperors enthronement
- Woody Allen, Amazon settle suit
- Dan Aykroyd Confirms Bill Murray Is Returning For ‘Ghostbusters 2020’
- Chelsea fans praise Reece James after superb first start in Palace win
- Mercury’s rare Sun transit will happen on Monday: Here’s how to watch
- Nintendo publish wobbly co-op rescue game The Stretchers, out now for Switch
- Kmart in Kenosha to close January of 2020
- House Republicans Request Hunter Biden Testify in Public Impeachment Hearing