In the recording released on Telegram messaging app channels close to Daesh, Abu Hamza al-Qurayshi, the terror group's so-called new spokesman, confirmed the deaths of Baghdadi and Daesh spokesman Abu al-Hassan al-Muhajir.
"Baghdadi's demise demonstrates America's relentless pursuit of terrorist leaders and our commitment to the enduring and total defeat of ISIS and other terrorist organizations", President Donald Trump said in his speech following the successful operation.
Erdogan took a swipe at the United States for making a big deal of Baghdadi's killing, saying: "They started a very big communication operation".More news: Disney+ will be on Amazon Fire TV starting November 12
"I declare for the first time, we also seized the wife of Baghdadi", Erdogan said.
ANKARA, Nov 6 (KUNA) - TurkishPresident Recep Tayyip Erdogan said his forces captured on Thursday wifeof the late chief of so-called Islamic StateAbu Bakr al-Baghdadi. He gave no details. Last month, US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said two of Bagdadi's wives were killed during the raid.
"Baghdadi has committed suicide in a tunnel".
One of the women is an Iraqi known as Nour, the daughter of one of his aides. She was identified by name by al-Baghdadi's brother-in-law in a recent interview with al-Arabiya TV.More news: Bayern Munich crush Dortmund thanks to Robert Lewandowski double
The official said the family links were confirmed using a DNA sample of Baghdadi provided by Iraqi authorities.
Earlier this week a senior Turkish official said Turkey had captured Baghdadi's sister, her husband and daughter-in-law, and hoped to gain intelligence from them about Islamic State, although Ankara has not said what knowledge they may have had about the group's operations.
Mr Al-Baghdadi proclaimed himself the caliph, or leader, of Islamic State in 2014. Picture: Handout via AP/African News Agency (ANA) Asma Fawzi Muhammad Al-Qubaysi, wife of slain Islamic State leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.
The group said a successor to Baghdadi, identified as Abu Ibrahim al-Hashemi al-Quraishi, had been appointed.More news: Cyclone Bulbul: Operations at Calcutta airport to be suspended
- Facebook's Instagram will start hiding likes for some USA users next week
- As House prepares for public impeachment hearings, Republicans want whistleblower to testify
- Tesla’s Musk, Greenlight’s Einhorn taunt each other on Twitter
- Harry and Meghan's tender moment at Westminster Abbey's 'Field of Remembrance'
- Death Stranding Will Be Simultaneously Released on Steam and Epic Games Store
- Ohio State's Chase Young suspension could reach four games, per report
- Gov. Matt Bevin Seeks Recanvassing in Ky. Race
- How to watch the Alabama vs. LSU game without cable
- City contact Liverpool to avoid repeat of bus attack in 2018
- Iraqi forces kill protesters with tear gas shells: HRW