Double Olympic champion Nicola Adams has retired from boxing due to concerns she could lose her sight.
Adams penned an commence letter to her native newspaper, the Yorkshire Evening Post, whereby she printed that persevering with her in-ring profession risked serious ruin.
Briton Adams became the first female Olympic boxing champion when she won gold on home soil at the 2012 London Games.More news: Monday night black cat still on the loose at MetLife Stadium
"I have been informed that any additional impact on my eye would probably lead to irreparable damage and permanent loss of vision". But it's not without taking its toll on my body, and aside from the expected aches and pains.
The Leeds boxer's last fight was on 28 September when she retained her WBO title following a split-decision draw with Mexico's Maria Salinas.
"To my wonderful team, I would not be the fighter I am today without your encouragement and understanding - what you have taught me goes beyond the ring".More news: Carrie Fisher's brother reveals Rise of Skywalker's original Leia plan
Adams made history at the London Olympics seven years ago, becoming the first woman to win Olympic gold in boxing.
The win against Isabel Millan would eventually see her crowned world champion after the previous title holder suffered an injury.
Adams, who successfully defended her title in Rio, had embarked on a successful professional career and in 2018, within 18 months of doing so, had won a world title - the vacant WBO flyweight belt.More news: Masked college students meet in graduation rites in Hong Kong
Adams ends her professional career with an unbeaten record of five wins and one draw.
- Clippers not breaking load management rule with Kawhi Leonard
- The Kid from 'E.T.' Was Arrested for DUI
- Tons of people received texts from February ... last night
- Malaysia detains two Cambodian dissidents headed for Thailand
- Home favourite Day gets Presidents Cup nod to face Woods-led US
- Jeff Sessions formally announces bid for old Senate seat, praises President Trump
- Manchester United vs. Partizan Belgrade - Football Match Report
- Galaxy S11’s "Hubble" camera will have "Space Zoom"
- Big Island Man Falls to Death in his Yard
- FCC formally approves the T-Mobile-Sprint merger