"The downed droned definitely belonged to a foreign country. Its wreckage has been recovered and is being investigated", the governor of Iran's southern Khuzestan province, Gholamreza Shariati, said, according to IRNA.
A US Defense official told the MailOnline: 'There are no reports of a USA drone being shot down'.More news: Two Indian players arrested in growing 'spot-fixing' scandal
A USA military official told Fox News on Friday that all American drones are accounted for and none have been shot down. "If a UAS had gone down in the CENTCOM AOR it was not a #DoD asset", Central Command said in a statement.
Iran's arch-foe Israel declined to comment on the incident, with a spokeswoman for the Israeli military saying: "We do not comment on reports from the foreign media".
Shariati said the drone violated Iran's airspace.More news: Solskjaer keeping Greenwood on the right track as young star continues shining
The unmanned aircraft was downed over Iranian territory with domestically manufactured Mersad surface-to-air missiles.
The semi-official Mehr news agency aired footage it said showed the missile attack that downed "the aggressor drone".
In June, US president Donald Trump authorised a strike on Iran after an American drone was shot down, only to call off the attack at the last minute amid fears that it would lead to excessive civilian casualties. He confirmed that the drone was foreign but did not elaborate. Tehran said the drone "violated" its territorial airspace, while the USA called the missile fire "an unprovoked attack" in worldwide airspace over the narrow mouth of the Persian Gulf.More news: I am still captain unless I hear otherwise: Bhupathi
Neither news agency gave any further details of the incident which comes amid soaring tensions between Tehran and Washington since President Donald Trump unilaterally abandoned a landmark 2015 nuclear deal past year and reimposed crippling sanctions.
- Masked college students meet in graduation rites in Hong Kong
- Sony claims PS5 is the easiest console to code for
- Trade Hopes (Again) Send Stocks to New Highs
- A 'The Mighty Ducks' Reboot Is Happening
- Mammoth bones found in man-made pit reveal pre-historic hunting tactics
- CGI James Dean to Star in Upcoming Vietnam War Era Drama
- Epic Games removes Jarvis from Fortnite 'for using aimbot'
- Judge Rejects Trump’s Religious Liberty Rule for Health Care Providers
- FAMU head coach Willie Simmons reacts to Taggart's firing
- YouTube Homepage Redesign Brings Larger Thumbnails, More Features