"Part of the reason I think he didn't end up with a team to this point is he's being selective about where he goes, wants to stay close to home with his family back in San Jose", Sportsnet's Chris Johnston said Saturday during Hockey Night in Canada.
After rumors that Patrick Marleau could return to the South Bay were ultimately shut down, the franchise's all-time goals and points leader is re-joining the Sharks, the team announced Tuesday afternoon ahead of their game against the Nashville Predators.More news: Beta program for Android 10 One UI 2.0 "coming soon" in Korea
The 39 - year-old Marleau left San Jose two summers ago to sign a three-year, $ 18.
The Sharks icon, who has been skating on his own, will join the team in Chicago to cap its three-game road trip on Thursday. Marleau scored 16 goals and compiled a total of 37 points during his final season in a Leafs sweater.More news: Brexit breakfast for European Union and United Kingdom negotiators after "pathway to deal" opens
The way their atrocious season has gone so far, including their fourth multigoal loss in as many games on Tuesday in Nashville, it nearly feels like the Sharks might need some divine intervention to turn things around. In June 2019, he was traded to the Carolina Hurricanes, who bought out the final year of his deal days later. Whether Peter DeBoer files Marleau right back into that spot is anyone's guess. San Jose only has scored one goal per game through its first few contests and the power play is a dismal 0-for-14.
"He's still got a lot of game in him", former Toronto teammate Auston Matthews said last month. "He's in unbelievable shape, every single year, both years he was in Toronto, he comes in flying". He became an unrestricted free agent but remained unsigned through the start of the regular season.More news: This is Google's Pixelbook Go
Earlier in the day, Joe Thornton - who is now no longer the only 40-year-old on the roster - spoke about how Marleau is still more than capable of playing at the National Hockey League level.
- Jane Fonda arrested protesting climate change in Washington
- Zuma to face corruption trial after court denies stay of prosecution
- United States vaping-related deaths rise to 29
- Advance voting is now open across Metro Vancouver
- U.S. envoy to testify in impeachment probe, against State Dept order
- Turkey begins offensive against Kurdish fighters in Syria
- Cain Velasquez Signs Multi-Year Deal With WWE
- Cosmonaut who performed first spacewalk dies aged 85
- Jennifer Aniston single, but not ready to mingle
- Massive Saddleridge fire threatening hundreds of homes: Here are the details