The 32-year-old helped Edmonton take a dominating lead on the road in NY with a natural hat trick in the first and second periods.
The Islanders scored first when Anthony Beauvillier beat Oilers netminder Mikko Koskinen on a shorthanded breakaway.More news: This is Google's Pixelbook Go
Captain Connor McDavid quietly added three assists of his own, while Leon Draisaitl had a pair of apples himself. He gave the Oilers the lead for good just 96 seconds later, when he was stationed to the left of the net and tucked home a pass from McDavid. Brock Nelson thought he'd pulled the Islanders to within two with just over three minutes left, but it was ruled that he had kicked the puck into the net.
With the Islanders trailing 2-1 after 20 minutes, Beauvillier almost tied it three minutes into the middle period, but his shot was stopped by Koskinen. Thomas Greiss came on and stopped seven of the eight shots he faced. With Edmonton on a power play, Komarov stole the puck from Draisaitl in the Oilers' zone, spun and sent a pass up to Beauvillier, who was streaking to the net from the left side.More news: Google launches detailed voice guidance in Maps for those with visual impairments
But it was centre Riley Sheahan, playing his first game with the Oilers after missing the first two contests with a concussion, who showed glimpses of giving the team a capable third-line centre. But Neal swooped in, grabbed the puck back and fired a shot past Varlamov from the left faceoff circle.
NY and Edmonton hit the ice in a non-conference matchup.More news: Federal Appeals Court Rejects Trump's Appeal of Subpoena for His Tax Returns
The Oilers got a bit of a fluke goal just 53 seconds into the opening period as McDavid muscled his way through the middle and sent a centering pass that deflected off of Los Angeles defenceman Matt Roy and past goalie Jonathan Quick.
- CDC warns pet turtle related salmonella cases on the rise
- Shepard Smith leaves Fox News Channel
- GM Boosts Contract Offer
- 20 new moons found around Saturn
- The human cost of Turkey's military action in Syria
- Jane Fonda arrested protesting climate change in Washington
- United States vaping-related deaths rise to 29
- Younger generations more likely to quit job for mental health reasons
- Chris Cuomo Says His Pronouns Are ‘She, Her, and Hers’
- Trump authorizes administration to slap 'significant' sanctions on Turkey