"Well I'm going to assume it's a guy who said that and I'm gonna say, 'Then just marry one woman, '" Warren said with a shrug.
"I think the whole foundation (of faith) is the worth of every single human being", she said.More news: United States vaping-related deaths rise to 29
She then paused for several seconds for effect, teeing up the punchline: "Assuming you can find one".
The clip immediately drew posts on Twitter and other platforms, with some commentators pointing to the viral moment and others saying it could show a lack of attentiveness to socially conservative voters who hold sway in some battleground states.
Prior to the debate, Warren announced a plan to pass the Equality Act, which would amend the Civil Rights Act to protect against discrimination based on sex, sexual orientation and gender identity.More news: Kevin Hart Breaks Silence Following Severe Car Crash, Sets Hiatus
"I know that back in Oklahoma in those days there weren't many people who were out, but the way I grew up it was just gradual". She says she does not remember having anti-gay views in her past, despite being enmeshed in a community where it wasn't yet safe to be openly LGBT.
By the time the segment ended, angry tweets were awaiting Cuomo in his Twitter feed.
The legislation is supported by many other Democrats and was the subject of a similar announcement on LGBTQ2 rights by Pete Buttigieg, who also participated in the town hall. "That is the basis of the faith that I grew up in. Jesus loves all the children of the world", she said, singing the tune. "And it truly is about the preciousness of each and every life".More news: Supreme Court Hands Win To Blind Man In Domino's Website Accessibility Dispute
"I am an ally of the LGBTQ community, and I am sorry because I am committed to helping us achieve equality".
- Alexei Leonov, 1st human to walk in space, dies in Moscow
- Review faults Boeing, FAA for 737 MAX troubles
- Toyota Mirai concept revealed for Tokyo motor show
- Acting Homeland Security Secretary Kevin McAleenan steps down
- Padres pitcher tased, arrested after allegedly trespassing through doggie door
- Massive Saddleridge fire threatening hundreds of homes: Here are the details
- Trump authorizes administration to slap 'significant' sanctions on Turkey
- Cosmonaut who performed first spacewalk dies aged 85
- The wait is over! Harry Styles returns with new single and video
- Google launches detailed voice guidance in Maps for those with visual impairments