Acting Homeland Security Secretary Kevin McAleenan is stepping down from that position, President Trump announced Friday night. While Trump said he would be nominating a new acting secretary next week, from "many wonderful candidates", the position would normally pass to the current acting Deputy Secretary, David Pekoske - a retired US Coast Guard vice-admiral who now serves as head of the Transportation Security Administration (TSA).
"Congratulations Kevin, on a job well done!"
McAleenan previously served as commissioner of U.S. Customs and Border Protection after having served as acting commissioner since the beginning of the Trump administration.More news: Sharks bring back 40-year-old Patrick Marleau for 2nd stint
"Kevin now, after many years in Government, wants to spend more time with his family and go to the private sector", Trump said on Twitter.
In fact, McAleenan's star had waned considerably within Trump's orbit of late.
He was seen as a level head who could effectively manage the border crisis but, like many other former administration officials who came before, Trump eventually soured on him.More news: Jane Fonda arrested protesting climate change in Washington
As Peter Baker of the New York Times notes, McAleenan's resignation means that his replacement will be President Trump's "fourth homeland security secretary in less than three years". But in an interview with The Washington Post last week, he complained about the "tone, the message, the public face and approach" of the nation's immigration policy.
McAleenan took over for Kirstjen Nielsen in April 2019. The president's signature issue makes the department his focus and his ire.More news: Toyota Mirai concept revealed for Tokyo motor show
- The wait is over! Harry Styles returns with new single and video
- United States vaping-related deaths rise to 29
- Cosmonaut who performed first spacewalk dies aged 85
- Google launches detailed voice guidance in Maps for those with visual impairments
- Chris Cuomo Says His Pronouns Are ‘She, Her, and Hers’
- Federal Appeals Court Rejects Trump's Appeal of Subpoena for His Tax Returns
- U.S. envoy to testify in impeachment probe, against State Dept order
- GM Boosts Contract Offer
- 20 new moons found around Saturn
- Younger generations more likely to quit job for mental health reasons