Alexei Leonov, who became the first human to walk in space in 1965, died on Friday at the age of 85 after a long illness, Russia's TASS news agency reported.
On March 18, 1965, Leonov became the first man to walk in space when he crawled out of an inflatable airlock strapped to the side of his Voskhod 2 capsule for a 12-minute walk.
Leonov's 12-minute spacewalk preceded the first USA spacewalk, by Ed White, by less than three months.More news: U.S. envoy to testify in impeachment probe, against State Dept order
Leonov trained as a military pilot before becoming a cosmonaut.
The outing was stressful for Leonov whose space suit filled with air to the point where he struggled to get back into his spacecraft. Apollo-Soyuz 19 was a prelude to the global cooperation seen aboard the current space station.
In 1975, Leonov took part in the historic Soyuz-Apollo spaceflight which, put an end to the "space race" between the US and Soviet Union. They said "Happy Birthday!" to Leonov before opening the hatch and venturing out.
This is the second of a total of five planned spacewalks dedicated to replacing the space station's batteries.More news: Turkey begins offensive against Kurdish fighters in Syria
"We were going to stop by Alexei Arkhipovich (Leonov) after our return and give him our space souvenirs, but you see it wasn't meant to be", Kononenko said.
Kononenko spoke fondly of the Soviet space pioneer, saying he was a frequent guest at send-off ceremonies for space crews in Star City and at the cosmodrome in Baikonur, Kazakhstan.
As is often the case, NASA is live streaming the entire event from start to finish, giving us a glimpse at what it takes to walk in space and perform maintenance on one of the most complex pieces of machinery ever sent into space.
Messages of condolences poured in from around the globe following news of his death.More news: Beta program for Android 10 One UI 2.0 "coming soon" in Korea
Leonov will be laid to rest at a cemetery just outside Moscow on Tuesday.
- The wait is over! Harry Styles returns with new single and video
- Check For Incompatible Apps Before You Install MacOS Catalina
- Supreme Court Hands Win To Blind Man In Domino's Website Accessibility Dispute
- Social Security Checks to Rise 1.6% in 2020
- Kevin Hart Breaks Silence Following Severe Car Crash, Sets Hiatus
- Flustered Federer says fans inspired him to reach Shanghai quarters
- Pregnant Women Should Get Flu and Whooping Cough Shots, CDC Says
- Jennifer Aniston single, but not ready to mingle
- Angelina Jolie Helps Mend Strain Relationship Between Brad Pitt & Maddox
- Padres pitcher tased, arrested after allegedly trespassing through doggie door