Leonov died at a Moscow hospital on Friday after a long illness.More news: The wait is over! Harry Styles returns with new single and video
Leonov was born in 1934 in the former Soviet Union. Earlier this year, International Space Station cosmonauts recorded birthday greetings for Leonov in space.
Russian President Vladimir Putin on Friday sent his condolences to Leonov's family, calling him a "true pioneer, a strong and heroic person". Leonov did not give up sketching even when he flew into space, and took colored pencils with him on the Apollo-Soyuz flight in 1975 to draw. In the vacuum of space, his suit had ballooned to the point that it would not fit through the hatch.
Though Leonov wasn't the first man on the moon (a goal he wasn't shy about), he earned his own "first" in the space race between the United States and Soviet Union.More news: Supreme Court Hands Win To Blind Man In Domino's Website Accessibility Dispute
On his second trip to space 10 years later, Mr Leonov commanded the Soviet half of the Apollo-Soyuz 19 mission.
British astronaut Tim Peake said Mr Leonov was "a hero to so many, pioneer of spacewalking and always full of wisdom and humour".
Two NASA astronauts are now outside the International Space Station on the second of several planned spacewalks to replace batteries affixed to the outside of the spacecraft. Two NASA astronauts are conducting one Friday outside the ISS to install new batteries.More news: GM Boosts Contract Offer
Spacewalks are now a routine part of space work.
- Turkey begins offensive against Kurdish fighters in Syria
- Kevin Hart Breaks Silence Following Severe Car Crash, Sets Hiatus
- Apple’s next year iPhone models will cost more than current gen models
- Brexit breakfast for European Union and United Kingdom negotiators after "pathway to deal" opens
- Cosmonaut who performed first spacewalk dies aged 85
- Montgomery, Alabama, elects its first black mayor, unofficial results show
- Beta program for Android 10 One UI 2.0 "coming soon" in Korea
- Padres pitcher tased, arrested after allegedly trespassing through doggie door
- Reported Sexually Transmitted Diseases Reach Epidemic levels in California
- This is Google's Pixelbook Go