North American investors have been a late but important addition to gold's rally this year, adding 62.1 tons to their holdings of the metal through exchange-traded funds in September.
Investors awaited the U.S. Federal Open Market Committee's minutes from its September meeting, due on Wednesday, for clues to whether the Fed will cut rates at its October meeting, in what would be its third interest rate cut for the year.
"Given strained relations with the US, China needs a hedge against its large holdings of the dollar, and gold serves that function", said Howie Lee, an economist at OCBC Bank.More news: EU President Donald Tusk Accuses Boris Johnson Of Brexit ''Blame Game''
Neil Wilson, chief markets analyst at Markets.com, says that gold is now a "good buy", and China's increase "chimes with the flows we've seen in recent weeks that's pushed prices a lot higher".
A string of weak US economic data, including sluggish manufacturing activity and a sharp slowdown in services industry growth, heightened recession fears, although Friday's decent jobs report halted bullion's upside.
"The stock market is increasing losses, so gold is taking back the safe haven role", ActivTrades chief analyst Carlo Alberto De Casa said, adding, "The markets are also fearing the trade talks and what's going on with Brexit".More news: Presidential Candidate Visits Immigrants Across The Border
Top-level U.S. -China trade talks are scheduled to resume later in the week, when Chinese Vice Premier Liu He meets with U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer and Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin in Washington.
Russia's bullion holdings accounted for around 2,217.68 tons by late July, after racking up another nine tons of the precious metal in just one month, so that since the start of the year, the country's central bank has boosted its gold holdings by a total of 106 tons.
Spot gold rose as much as 0.4 per cent to US$1,511.31 an ounce on Monday (Oct 7) and traded at US$1,505.84 in early London trade. The metal's price has climbed almost 19% since the start of the year.More news: Zarif Calls U.S. An Unreliable Ally And an 'Occupier' In Syria
Russian Federation also has been adding substantial quantities of bullion; central banks worldwide have snapped up more than 450 mt during the first eight months of 2019, helping push total gold demand to a three-year high, the World Gold Council has said. When the central bank announced a 57 per cent jump in reserves to 53.3 million ounces in mid-2015, that was the first update in six years.
- Hong Kong leader says economy taking a hit from protests
- UAW talks take turn for worse; settlement not near
- USA pilots sue Boeing for ‘rushing’ unsafe 737 Max into market
- United States adds Chinese AI and facial recognition companies to entity list'
- Measles is still 'eliminated' in America… barely, CDC says
- LeBron James, Anthony Davis shine in Lakers preseason opener
- Japan Open: Novak Djokovic revels in ‘flawless’ Pouille pummelling
- Three win Nobel Prize for work to understand cosmos
- Graham Asks Giuliani to Testify in New GOP-Led Probe on Ukraine
- Esports player banned from tournament after calling for Hong Kong 'revolution'