"Here's the thing", she continued. I was aware that I was going to be surrounded with people from very different views and beliefs.
"I'm sitting in the Cowboys suite, the owner of the Cowboys, and secretly cheering every time the Packers scored", she said.
"And I'm friends with people who [are] furry, as a matter of fact", she said to laughter.More news: Marcus Morris Earns Much-Deserved Ejection In Knicks Preseason Debut
Bush, who served two terms as U.S. president, has also faced condemnation for leading the country into war with Iraq and Afghanistan.
"President and Mrs. Bush really enjoyed being with Ellen and Portia, and they appreciated Ellen's comments about respecting one another".
At the game, a picture was shared of DeGeneres and Bush sitting next to each other and she said it received mixed responses on the Internet.
It's refreshing to see someone as high-profile as DeGeneres asking her viewers to prioritize true tolerance in their interactions with other people. "They respect her", Freddy Ford, Chief of Staff for President George W. Bush, said in a statement to CNN.
Ellen DeGeneres will not be Twitter-shamed for who she spends time with.
A slice of social media lost its collective mind over the weekend after a photo of Ellen DeGeneres at Sunday's National Football League game between the Packers and the Cowboys surfaced online.More news: Manhunt after two shot dead in German city
OUT Magazine voiced similar disapproval: "Ellen DeGeneres laughing it up with someone who has actively tried to harm our community feels disappointing, irresponsible, and unsafe".
Addressing the controversy that ensued she said: "People were upset".
It's not earth-shattering news that Bush continues to be a beacon for unusual and unexpected friendships.
Yes, that was me at the Cowboys game with George W. Bush over the weekend. Critics - who are predominantly part of the LGBT community - derided DeGeneres for getting close to a president who actively stood against the legalization of same sex marriage.
Some Twitter users vehemently criticised her for sharing the Republican's company, calling him a "war criminal".More news: 3 win Nobel Prize in Physics for discoveries in cosmology
- Al Qaeda leader for the Indian subcontinent killed in South of Afghanistan
- JT Of The City Girls Released From Prison. Twitter Welcomes Her Home
- 800,000 Californians may have power cut to help prevent wildfires
- Penn State player tweets 'racist' letter sent to teammate about 'disgusting' dreadlocks
- Winning €190m EuroMillions ticket sold in UK
- Mumbai becomes first-ever Indian city to have a floating basketball court
- No agreements, MoUs will be signed during Modi-Xi's second informal summit
- Apple plans to bundle Music and TV+
- Pilot survives as U.S. fighter jet crashes in Germany
- I am where I want to be, says Dani Ceballos