Tuesday, 17 September 2019
Latest news
Main » Trump says Taliban talks ‘dead’, United States military to ramp up Afghanistan operations

Trump says Taliban talks ‘dead’, United States military to ramp up Afghanistan operations

12 September 2019

'We had two ways to end occupation in Afghanistan, one was jihad and fighting, the other was talks and negotiations, ' Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said.

Trump said, "As far as I am concerned, they are finished for me".

Unbeknownst to nearly everyone, the major Taliban leaders and, separately, the President of Afghanistan, were going to secretly meet with me at Camp David on Sunday.

The Taliban this morning vowed to proceed preventing in opposition to USA forces in Afghanistan after President Donald Trump mentioned talks with insurgents had been "dead", saying Washington would remorse abandoning negotiations.

Many in Washington, DC, were shocked and some were angry that the Taliban visit would have occurred around the time of the anniversary of the September 11, 2001, attacks on the US.

The announcement followed Trump's dramatic cancellation of a top-secret plan to fly Taliban leaders in for direct talks at the Camp David presidential facility outside Washington. However, following the death of a USA soldier in a suicide vehicle bomb attack in Kabul on Thursday, the president said he pulled out of the meeting.

More news: Over 300 Nigerians evacuated from South Africa by local airline

According to parts of the draft deal that had been made public, the Pentagon would pull about 5,000 of the roughly 13,000 United States troops from five bases across Afghanistan by early next year.

Responding to Trump's decision to cancel the peace talks, the Taliban said it was an "anti-peace" move.

The cancellation came after the Taliban suicide attack on September 5 in Kabul.

United States has already spent trillions of USA dollars and 2,400 U.S. servicemen have been killed so far since the invasion in Afghanistan, so now it wants to call back its troops.

The US has taken this step after the Taliban took responsibility for the attack in Kabul last week.

The renewed war of words between the two sides raised the spectre of violence in Afghanistan as Trump and the Taliban pledged to take the fight to each other following the precipitous collapse in talks.

More news: Sixth death possibly linked to vaping

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on negotiations that it is unclear if the US-Taliban talks are permanently over or only paused. "When I heard very simply that they killed one of our soldiers and 12 other innocent people, I said there's no way I'm meeting on that basis. That's not going to happen", McKenzie told a group of reporters travelling with him during a stop at Bagram Airfield in northeastern Afghanistan.

"I probably would not have chosen to do the meeting at Camp David three days before 9/11", adding, "Let's just say I might have found another venue". "If they [Taliban] don't deliver on the commitments that they've made to us now for weeks and in some cases months, the president of the United States is not going to reduce the pressure, we're not going to reduce our support for the Afghan Security Forces that have fought so hard there".

"Yeah, we'd like to get out", he said. What kind of people would kill so many in order to seemingly strengthen their bargaining position?

'I've never believed that a deal with the Taliban is either easy or imminent, ' Senator Marco Rubio said.

The objective is to make "the Afghan security forces stronger so that they can fight worldwide terrorism and create the conditions for peace", the official said.

More news: Control details post-launch content schedule

Trump says Taliban talks ‘dead’, United States military to ramp up Afghanistan operations