This has since been further confirmed by Musk, who said that the EV maker already has a Model S on the ground in Germany and would not be trying for a lap record - yet.
"Model S on Nürburgring next week", tweeted Musk following the Taycan unveiling, which you might take to mean that a Tesla Model S would literally be driven around Nürburgring in the German state of Rhineland-Palatinate this week as part of some sort of record attempt. Since he didn't mention anything about the record-breaking lap time belonging strictly to four-door electric vehicles, we're going to assume the Model S has established the outright record for cars with rear doors at the famous circuit in California. He promised a video was coming in the next day. Well, the reply mentioned above was part of a tweet from Tesla's head honcho in which he announced the Model S has set a new record for the fastest four-door vehicle at Laguna Seca. On the surface, Tesla has indeed set a faster time - but dig a little deeper and it's clear that Jaguar still holds the record for a sedan.More news: "Coral" Google Pixel 4 Appears In A New Hands-On Video
As for the Model S spied hanging out around the Nurburgring with a number of non-production modifications, including Michelin Cup 2 tires, a lowered stance, and some slight body modifications, the company is still more than welcome to run during the times when the Nordschielfe is open to tourists.
It's a level up from the recently released "Raven" upgrade of the Model S and Model X that was first announced in April with longer range, improved adaptive suspension and a reworked Model 3 motor on the front axle.More news: Canadian-Romanian tennis player Bianca Andreescu wins US Open 2019
Tesla says the prototype used for the testing has been fitted out with that it calls a Plaid powertrain and chassis.
Commenting on the go-faster "Plaid" powertrain, expected in Tesla's 2020 Roadster, Elon Musk responded to a tweet with the powertrain's production timeline and the models on which it'll be available. But is it impressive?More news: Top U.S. Senate Republican says waiting for White House gun proposal
- Ashes 2019: England v Australia, fifth Test day one
- Trump ready to meet Rouhani without pre-conditions: Mnuchin
- Daniel Johnston, indie singer-songwriter, dies at 58
- Juul Warned by FDA Over Marketing Practices
- What we know so far about the nation's vaping illness outbreak
- Game on: federal election gets underway
- Valencia will sack Marcelino Garcia Toral in the next few hours — COPE
- Scientists Discover New Planet With Water
- Control details post-launch content schedule
- Scottish court rules Boris Johnson's parliament suspension unlawful