The visitors won the first Test by 251 runs but after the drawn second, England leveled the series with a stunning turnaround in the third Test.
"We've got to make sure that we square the series up and there's Test Championship points to play for as well which down the line could make a huge difference".
"We've not lost anything yet", he said.More news: Policy options for Saudi Arabia's new energy minister
Root was adamant that despite the disappointment of failing to win the series, England could still be proud of their achievements over the summer.
England's failure has led to questions over Root's position as captain, particularly given his inconsistent batting throughout the series.
"In terms of personnel, things might change, as they have done for a while", he said.
'It has been a tough year for batting. It is important we win this game and have a really strong winter and move forward as a group.
He has scored 110 runs in eight innings with a top score of 31 at Old Trafford when he dropped down the order.More news: After surviving Hurricane Dorian, a preschooler came home to hugs
Critics would say recalibrating sights is a standard distraction tactic when flak is flying and that keeping hold of the rudder could be hard this week with Tim Paine's side looking for a place in history as the first winners here since 2001.
'We are very hungry - we have spoken a lot about it.
Four years on from the white-ball revolution which ended with World Cup glory Root is pinning his hopes to harnessing similar momentum back in Test cricket, most likely, building around a core of himself, Stokes, Rory Burns, Jonny Bairstow and Jofra Archer.More news: Game on: federal election gets underway
- What we know so far about the nation's vaping illness outbreak
- Trump ready to meet Rouhani without pre-conditions: Mnuchin
- Canadian-Romanian tennis player Bianca Andreescu wins US Open 2019
- Mugabe body being flown to Zimbabwe, burial place undecided
- Valencia will sack Marcelino Garcia Toral in the next few hours — COPE
- Eighteen years on, U.S. mourns 9/11 victims
- Juul Warned by FDA Over Marketing Practices
- Scientists Discover New Planet With Water
- Daniel Johnston, indie singer-songwriter, dies at 58
- Teen stole parents' money to fund alleged plot to kill them