"At one point, in my house, it felt like Bigfoot was on the roof, trying to break in through the roof", said Charles, as he described the bone-chilling moment when Hurrican Dorian's fury was felt on the tiny island.
"They're having to teach geography at this point to people", says Rich Harrill, director of the International Tourism Research Institute at the University of SC.
"As the need arise, we will open other shelters", Carl Smith, spokesman for the Bahamian National Emergency Management Agency told reporters on Tuesday.
Emergency management officials told a separate news conference that the list of missing had not yet been checked against records of evacuees or the thousands of people staying in shelters.
"We made an offer today, and it should be going out in the next couple of days", President Ozzy Samad said.More news: Apple, Foxconn infringe China Labor Law at iPhone plant in Zhengzhou
The official death toll still stands at 50, with 42 of those deaths on Abaco and eight on Grand Bahama, but Minnis said the number of deaths is expected to "significantly increase". "I didn't", Janice said.
"Some individuals who have been evacuated from Abaco and Grand Bahama have not yet registered with social services", Smith said.
While the category 5 storm made landfall on Great Abaco Island, decimating that northern island as well as Grand Bahama, numerous more southern islands remain intact and welcome tourism dollars.
A survivor of Hurricane Dorian has revealed how scared he was when it battered his home.More news: Control details post-launch content schedule
The Burnaby firefighters search and rescue team has located a missing Canadian in the area of the Bahamas worst hit by Hurricane Dorian last week. The island of Abaco was largely devastated and about 70,000 people have been left homeless across the archipelago.
Tamika Cornish, the boy's aunt, said, "We saw the young gentleman that came through with those bags and donated to everybody".
Cartwright said people are without basic necessities of food, shelter and clean water.
Until recently, USA government guidelines said many Bahamians could travel to the United States without a visa by sea or air if they had a passport and evidence of a clean police record.More news: Scottish court rules Boris Johnson's parliament suspension unlawful
- IPhone 11 set to make Apple's Diwali a grand affair
- Sixth death possibly linked to vaping
- "Coral" Google Pixel 4 Appears In A New Hands-On Video
- New Jersey Man Charged With Doing 'Doughnuts' At President Trump's Golf Course
- Stars rock lingerie at Rihanna's Savage X Fenty fashion show
- China to exempt 16 categories of U.S. products from tariffs
- Taliban militants killed in Afghan airstrike
- Google officially announces its Apple Arcade-rival Play Pass is 'coming soon'
- Tropical Storm Humberto increases odds of development as it heads toward Florida
- Philippines confirms first swine fever cases