But it ultimately didn't matter as France handed Team USA their first worldwide loss since 2006 and knocked them out of the FIBA World Cup earlier than expected by the score of 89-79. The loss snaps Team USA's 58-game win streak in worldwide competition with National Basketball Association players on the roster.
Mitchell finished with a game-high 29 points for Team USA and was on pace to eclipse Kevin Durant's single-game record of 38 against Lithuania at the 2010 World Championship.
For the first time in 13 years, there will be a new men's FIBA World Cup champion. "I know we're Team USA and things of that nature and they've been winning for a lot of years, but you know, we didn't get a chance to pull it off".More news: Stars rock lingerie at Rihanna's Savage X Fenty fashion show
Both Argentina and France will be ecstatic after knocking out the two favourites, which sets up a mouth-watering tie between the two on Friday.
Nando De Colo scored 18 for France. Mitchell has plenty of experience as a lead guard in big moments, carrying Utah in the postseason both as a rookie in 2018 and in his second National Basketball Association season a year ago. Walker is one of the NBA's leading pick-and-roll players, but neither he nor the rest of Team USA could put Gobert on skates a la Steph Curry. France capitalised on that and were led by the exceptional Rudy Gobert, as well as Evan Fournier and Frank Ntilikina. For all the defense provided by the Stifle Tower down the stretch, it turns out the best defense played on Mitchell was by his own teammates.More news: Apple to launch most expensive iPhone ever in United Kingdom next week
The Olympic team for 2020 will look quite different from this squad, but they'll be coming into the competition with something to prove for the first time in a long time. Celtics forward Jayson Tatum missed the game with an ankle injury.
Australia's win over the Czech Republic in the other quarterfinal on Wednesday gave France something else to celebrate - an Olympic berth.More news: Disney & Netflix Stocks Plummet After Apple+ Unveils $4.99 Price
- Massive Illinois train derailment sparks chemical fire, numerous evacuations
- Kill politics to save the Amazon Rainforest
- HK exchange makes £32B bid for LSE
- Shock draw with Asian champs Qatar fills India with pride
- England change 2 for final Ashes Test
- Daily Online Edition of The Sunday Times Sri Lanka
- Borderlands 3: here’s how to get the first three Golden Keys
- IPhone 11 set to make Apple's Diwali a grand affair
- EVERYTHING You Need to Know about Apple’s iPhone 11 Event!
- Men's hockey take on Russia, Women's play USA in FIH Olympic Qualifiers