The toymaker also addresses real-world concerns over wage disparities between men and women, by disadvantaging male players in the game, saying "Ms. Monopoly is the first-ever game where women make more than men".
However, Breitbart News reported that social media users were seemingly "offended" by it and took to the Internet to express their opinions on the new version of the board game. While Darrow and Parker Brothers made millions for the game, Magie reportedly only gained $500 for the game which Monopoly was appropriated.More news: Apple Unveils Apple Watch Series 5 With an Always-On Display
"While the game first and foremost celebrates the accomplishments of female entrepreneurs, there are also game pieces designed to create a conversation around gender equality and reward the important role men play in supporting female empowerment", the spokesperson said. The gap will be widened as female players collect $240 after passing go while male players will receive $200. Men still collect the time-honored $200.
'Ms. Monopoly was created to inspire everyone, young and old as it spotlights women who have challenged the status quo, ' a Hasbro description continues. Spots on the board such as railroads and the electric company are replaced with ride-hailing services and Wi-Fi, and properties such as the coveted Park Place make way for groundbreaking inventions and innovations created by women throughout history, including chocolate chip cookies, solar heating and modern shapewear. "Monopoly-%E2%80%93-Game-Franchise" target="_blank">Ms. Monopoly.More news: Blast heard near U.S. Embassy in Kabul on 9/11 anniversary
Hasbro describes the coffee-toting Ms. Monopoly, who wears a business jacket over a shirt emblazoned with famous Monopoly "GO", as "an advocate whose mission is to invest in female entrepreneurs".
A number of people thought the game's attempts to address unequal pay fell flat, especially since the new rules disproportionately put women ahead of men instead of having players start the game on the same level field. Buys her patent decades later for $500 so they can bury it in favor of a similar game "invented" by a man, which praised capitalism instead of critiquing it. A trio of teenage girls was featured in a video vignette announcing Ms. Monopoly's launch.More news: Wendy's To Start Serving Breakfast in the Hudson Valley in 2020
- USA joins Israel in accusing Iran as nuclear deal flounders
- Iranian tanker row: Ambassador summoned over Syria claim
- Kyler, Cards rally to earn tie with Lions in season opener
- Corbyn Gears Up for Election With Pledge to Help British Workers
- How to watch Apple launch live online
- Iran's Full and Timely Cooperation is Essential, Acting Director General Tells Board
- Miami vs. North Carolina odds
- Research By Movemeber Reveals Men's Mental Health At Work A Problem
- Labour's Corbyn offers support hailing courage of Belfast shipyard workers
- Big losses for Putin's party in Moscow due to 'smart voting'