This year, Muharram runs from September 1 to 28. It is considered the second holiest month after Ramzan. During the month of Muharram, some mosques provide free meals on certain nights of the month to all people.
She said the sacrifice of Hazrat Imam Hossain (RA) and his companions to establish truth and justice in society was a glaring and emulating example for the Muslim Ummah across the world.
The real meaning of the word "Muharram" means forbidden and sinful. Some Muslims fast during day hours on the ninth and 10th or the 10th and 11th days of the month.
President Dr Arif Alvi has said that the supreme sacrifices given by Imam Hussain (AS) and his family members and companions were a triumph for humanity and Islamic principles. Not all Muslim groups observe this occasion in the same manner.More news: U.S. tells smokers to stop vaping pending investigation into five deaths
For Shia Muslims, Ashura is a solemn day of mourning the martyrdom of the Prophet Muhammad's grandson, Husayn ibn Ali, at Karbala in 680 AD.
Muharram is a duration of intense disaster and mourning for Shia Muslims.
Muharram processions routes were sealed and the movement of unwanted people was restricted.
At least 31 people have been killed in a stampede during commemorations for the Shia holy day of Ashura in the Iraqi city of Karbala, officials say. This exemplifies the suffering Imam Hussain Ali experienced shortly before his beheading. "On this day we also pay homage to the immortal martyrs of Karbala".More news: Green Day, Fall Out Boy and Weezer announce Dublin gig
Sunni Muslims, on the other hand, observe this day with a fast that lasts from sunrise to sunset.
Turkey marked on Monday the anniversary of the martyrdom of Imam Al-Hussein, the grandson of the Prophet Muhammad. Sunni Muslims commemorate the day thru voluntary fasting. Whereas fasting at some level of the month of Ramadan became mandatory, the snappy of Ashura modified into once made non-obligatory.
Prime Minister Imran Khan said Tuesday it was necessary "to keep the message of Karbala of fighting against tyranny & injustice alive" as Ashura - Muharram 9 and 10 - draws to a close.More news: Labour's Corbyn offers support hailing courage of Belfast shipyard workers
- Camila Mendes Says Her Eating Disorder is 'Still a Curse to Me'
- Researchers Explain What Happened When Dinosaur-Killing Asteroid Hit Earth
- Ashura stampede leaves at least 31 dead
- Big losses for Putin's party in Moscow due to 'smart voting'
- Miami vs. North Carolina odds
- Americans rally to win Walker Cup in Liverpool
- Hailee Steinfeld Offered The MCU Role Of Kate Bishop In 'Hawkeye' Series
- USA joins Israel in accusing Iran as nuclear deal flounders
- Australian Federal Police savagely troll England cricket team after Ashes defeat
- Hurricane Dorian washes up cocaine bricks on Florida beaches