Tesla notes that according to their data driving with Autopilot on is safer than without, and noted that the videos of drivers happily sleeping behind the wheel is likely the result of pranksters playing a risky game of scaring fellow drivers, and overall likely damaging the EV cause.
"It was just so unusual and baffling" said Dakota Randall, who shot the video, in an interview with WBZ-TV.
Autopilot horror or hoax? Video appears to show Tesla driver asleep at the wheel at 60mph
A video posted on Twitter appears to show a driver asleep at the wheel as his auto-piloted Tesla sped across an interstate highway at 60mph. He didn't contact the police about the incident, even though he had the video to backup his story.
Mr Randall said he did not call the police on the vehicle, which was travelling 55 to 60mph, but state police said they are aware of his video.More news: How to watch Apple launch live online
"I just saw something weird on the highway and recorded it". Randall did not know the person, follow him, or see any end-result to the situation, so any information about the driver - or passenger, who was also asleep - is unknown.
Tesla responded that their cars already had engagement monitoring, as users had to torque the steering wheel regularly to show that they are paying attention.More news: NBA Player Wearing Redskins Jersey Brawls With Eagles Fans in Wild Melee
According to The Guardian, state police said they are aware of the video.
Tesla responded to the video of a sleeping driver behind the wheel of a Tesla on autopilot that has been circulating on social media, warning it could be a "dangerous" hoax.More news: Southgate: Man Utd striker Rashford NOT a natural No9
"Many of these videos appear to be risky pranks or hoaxes". "Tesla owners have driven billions of miles using Autopilot, and data from our quarterly Vehicle Safety Report indicates that drivers using Autopilot experience fewer accidents than those operating without assistance".
- SoftBank pushes WeWork to postpone its contentious IPO
- Iranian tanker row: Ambassador summoned over Syria claim
- Apple Unveils Apple Watch Series 5 With an Always-On Display
- FDA Warns Juul About Illegal Marketing Claims
- Labour's Corbyn offers support hailing courage of Belfast shipyard workers
- Research By Movemeber Reveals Men's Mental Health At Work A Problem
- Hailee Steinfeld Offered The MCU Role Of Kate Bishop In 'Hawkeye' Series
- Kelly Clarkson Speaks About Encouraging Taylor Swift To Re-record Her Songs
- Amber Rudd warns PM that moderate purge could cost him next election
- Kyler, Cards rally to earn tie with Lions in season opener