Mr Hogan's team will emphasise his role as Agriculture Commissioner in helping to conclude both the EU-Japan deal and the EU-Mercosur agreement. "It's a major role at a crucial time for the future of the European economy".
The appointment is a significant achievement for Taoiseach Leo Varadkar, who had lobbied for Ireland to be given a key economic portfolio in the new European Commission. But the European Union team, led by Cecilia Malmstrom, insists the ball is the USA court. The Dane Margrethe Vestager will continue as commissioner for competition and a Europe fit for the digital age, while her Latvian colleague, Valdis Dombrovskis, was given the financial services portfolio.
Alongside US talks, Brexit is set to be the biggest challenge facing Hogan, if he is approved for the position.
In a statement, new Commission president Ursula von der Leyen, from Germany, confirmed which commissioners would be assigned to the various portfolios.More news: Chiefs' Hill hurts clavicle, out weeks
"Brexit, should it happen, is not the end of something but the beginning of our future relationship", she said.
The leader of the Fine Gael delegation in the European Parliament, Seán Kelly MEP, said: "As a Member of the Parliament's International Trade Committee, I am delighted that Commissioner-designate Phil Hogan has been selected to become the Commissioner for Trade".
Hogan is now serving as agriculture commissioner.
The European Union must lead the fight against climate change, build ties with the United States and Africa and face up to a more assertive China, the incoming chief of the EU executive said on Tuesday.More news: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare gets an official multiplayer beta trailer
Her "college" of commissioners will take office on November 1, assuming they secure approval from the European Parliament - not a given after it only narrowly backed the German in July.
In a sign of change from the current executive, the Commission will create a new defense and space arm, under internal markets commissioner Sylvie Goulard, an ally of French President Emmanuel Macron.
The EU is keen to champion the rules-based global trading system now under attack from the Trump administration, and vulnerable to the escalating trade war between the USA and China.More news: Iran's 'blue girl' dies after setting herself on fire
- Bottas to stay on with Hamilton at Mercedes
- Coast Guard rescues all four crew members trapped in capsized cargo ship
- Wilbur Ross Threatened To Fire NOAA Employees After Birmingham Statement
- JOKER Writer/Director Balks At Crossover with ROBERT PATTINSON's BATMAN
- Steve Harmison says Smith will always be remembered as a cheat
- Oil tanker unloaded cargo on Mediterranean coast, says Tehran
- Things Get Weird in THE LIGHTHOUSE Trailer
- Rishi Kapoor returns to Mumbai after 11 months and 11 days
- John Bercow Announces He Will Stand Down In An Emotional Speech
- Google Pixel 4 XL appears in black and white colors