Stock markets cheered the development, with the Dow Jones Industrial Average jumping 500 points or nearly two per cent from Monday's close.More news: Nora Quoirin: More than £100,000 raised for missing teen
In a sign the administration may be expecting something in return, Trump tweeted on Tuesday: "As usual, China said they were going to be buying "big" from our great American Farmers".
The administration also announced that certain products will be permanently removed from the tariff target list for reasons of health, safety and national security. "Maybe this will be different!" the president wrote.
The administration is still moving forward with 10% tariffs on much of the $300 billion of imports first disclosed in May, publishing a 122-page list of products that will face tariffs beginning September 1, including smartwatches.More news: Eddie Jones: Scott Barrett's red card 'ridiculous'
Wall Street's main indexes had initially opened lower, adding to a global slide in stocks due to geopolitical concerns, with a Labor Department report also showing the core consumer price index rose 2.2 per cent in the 12 months through July.
The US and China are fighting over US allegations that Beijing steals trade secrets and forces foreign companies to hand over technology, as part of a drive to become a world leader in advanced technologies such as artificial intelligence and electric cars. Since the iPhone is designed in the US but assembled in China, it is considered an import from that country and is subject to the tariffs. According to the statement, tariff exemptions will include a variety of consumer electronics such as laptop computers, monitors and game consoles as well as footwear and clothing items.
The USTR office plans to conduct an exclusion process for products subject to the additional tariff.More news: 5 dead in Pennsylvania fire
- Argentina opposition set to defeat Macri after big primary upset
- Cowboys' Dak Prescott turning down over $30M per season?
- Manchester City opens Premier League title defense by bossing West Ham
- Missing dentures found stuck in throat 8 days after surgery
- Popular Ivorian singer, DJ Arafat is dead
- Cuccinelli Edits Lazarus Poem To Justify 'Public Charge' Rule
- Body found in hunt for missing teen Nora Quoirin
- Perisic set to sign for Bayern Munich
- Friends Is Heading to Movie Theaters for Its 25th Anniversary
- System Shock 2 Enhanced Edition Announced