"At 12:08 a.m., our dogs crossed the rainbow bridge together, "Melissa Martin wrote in a Facebook post".
Their three dogs - Abby, Izzy, and Harpo - had to be put down after swimming in a pond in Wilmington.More news: Everton winger Henry Onyekuru completes £12million Monaco move
Both of the toxins act fast and cause severe health problems that can lead to death hours, and sometimes minutes, after a dog accidentally ingests algal bloom water. The couple drover her to the emergency room, and unfortunately, she passed away there. Nitrogen and phosphorus enter bodies of water as a result of human activities, such as agriculture, imperfect wastewater systems, fossil fuels, fertilizers, and the use of soaps and detergents containing those nutrients.
Immediate medical intervention is required for animals exposed to the algae.
"There are only a handful of public health agencies that have the capacity to do testing for blue-green algae", said LaLiberte. Blue-green algae, also known as cyanobacteria, are "primitive", photosynthetic organisms that can feed off the sun to make their own energy and release oxygen and possibly toxins in the process, said David G. Schmale III, a professor at Virginia Tech.More news: UN probing 35 North Korean cyberattacks in 17 countries
Martin and Mintz go on to promise in the post that they would begin an initiative to set signs up near bodies of water that are contaminated with the deathly algae, and have created a GoFundMe page to raise money to do so. Her $2,000 goal has already been met, with more than $3,400 raised as of Monday afternoon, August 12.
They told CNN they thought the cyanobacteria they saw in the pond was flower blooms.
"Anytime you see really discolored green water, if you see scums or mats or floating clumps of algae, keep your dogs out, because you can't tell if blue-green algae blooms are making toxins", adds LaLiberte. According to the EPA, symptoms to look out for in your dog include diarrhea, vomiting, weakness, staggering, drooling, trouble breathing, convulsions, and seizures. If your dog has already gotten into a harmful bloom, rinse your pet off immediately in fresh, clean water.More news: Eddie Murphy lights up the trailer for Netflix's 'Dolemite Is My Name'
- Missing dentures found stuck in throat 8 days after surgery
- Britain Sends Warship To Persian Gulf
- CNN’s PR Head Responds To Cuomo ‘Fredo’ Meltdown. Trump Jr. Nukes Him
- Queen, despite Epstein scandal behind Prince Andrew - view
- WhatsApp's fingerprint unlock feature arrives on Android in latest beta
- Norway mosque attack: Bruised suspect Manshaus appears in court
- Sebastian Telfair was sentenced to 3 1/2 years in prison
- Boris Johnson criticises European Union lack of cooperation on Brexit deal
- Friends Is Heading to Movie Theaters for Its 25th Anniversary
- Argentina opposition set to defeat Macri after big primary upset