MTV announced on Monday that Elliott, a producer, rapper, singer and songwriter who has won five Grammys, will add the Video Vanguard Award - traditionally called the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award - to her pile of honors.
Elliott will also perform on the show, in her first VMA appearance since 2006.More news: Man City's reserves could win title, says Mourinho
The Get Ur Freak On songstress posted a picture of herself in an astronaut suit ala the VMA trophies as she added: "I am crying happy tears".
Missy Elliott just worked her way to a major new honor.More news: Raptors open and get rings against Zion and more schedule notes
Missy joins past Video Vanguard honorees including Michael Jackson, Janet Jackson, Madonna, Beyoncé, Kanye West, Rihanna, Justin Timberlake, and Jennifer Lopez, who received the award a year ago.
'Her creative vision across production, performance and songwriting is unmatched'. She is a five-time Grammy victor and the first female hip-hop artist to be inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame.
Missy is a five-time Grammy victor who has sold over 30 million records worldwide.
The 2019 VMAs will air on MTV on August 26 at 8 p.m. ET.More news: Canadian police reveal cause of death of teen killers
- Hobbs & Shaw repeats at No
- Vikings get kicker/punter Kaare Vedvik in trade with Ravens
- Taliban Says Latest Round of US-Taliban Talks Finishes
- Martin Brundle warns Alex Albon about Red Bull move
- Scaramucci: Trump's Policies Good; His Rhetoric Isn't
- DOJ: Friend of Dayton shooter to face federal charges
- Environmentalists warn Trump 'weakening' endangered species protections
- Myanmar landslide toll climbs to 59
- NARIT: Asteroid 2006 QQ23 would not hit Planet Earth
- 'The Crown' season 3 release date confirmed by Netflix