Efforts to revive the boy were unsuccessful, said Rochester Police Department investigator Francis Camp who choked back tears as he told reporters that the incident was a "horrible, disgusting unimaginable, unspeakable tragedy". "It's just a frightful, unimaginable, unspeakable tragedy".
A 3-year-old boy was killed in a tragic accident when he fell into unsecured grease trap behind a New York Tim Horton's on Monday. Emergency dispatchers received a second call at 11:03 a.m. stating that the child had been found in the grease trap.
The grease trap was described as a hole in the ground that was covered with a plastic lid.
"The lid was on there, it looks like the child ran across it and it popped open and he fell into the trap", he said. But attempts to revive the boy proved fruitless and he was later pronounced dead at the hospital.More news: Trump nominates Esper, Spencer temporarily takes over as Pentagon chief
Investigators say someone who had heard the mom's panicked screams for help was looking around when they discovered the boy inside the grease trap, which was just a few feet outside the back door. "This is the worst thing that you can encounter as a police officer", he added.
That person administered CPR, as did police officers and paramedics, the investigator said.
Alabama politicians passed legislation requiring more secure covers after a three-year-old girl died in a 1.8-meter-deep grease trap in Alabama, in October 2017.
The three-foot-wide traps are meant to dispose of used grease from the kitchen.More news: Australia to decide on Ashes squad in Southampton trial match
The statement said the company was cooperating with authorities and would not have any further comment as police investigate.
Footage captured by CNN Monday showed distraught Tim Hortons employees pacing in the Rochester parking lot behind yellow police tape.
"We have a horrifying episode here that happened today", he said.More news: Kylie Jenner Just Wore a Vintage Bikini Older Than She Is
- Hackers Can Manipulate Media Files Sent Through WhatsApp And Telegram
- Colombian caught in Spain with cocaine worth Sh3.5m under wig
- Penguin Duo Removed Again From New Zealand Sushi Sopt
- DOH declares National Dengue Alert as cases keep rising
- Lindsay Lohan Announced As Judge On New Australian Singing Competition
- Ottawa Senators add Artem Anisimov in trade with Chicago
- Joe Biden Draws Line Against Progressives on Health Care With New Proposal
- Oil prices down on dwindling storm impact, Chinese data
- 'The Bachelorette' 2019: Top 3 for Hannah B.'s Season Revealed!
- Facebook's Marcus Says He'd Accept 100% of His Pay in Libra