Furthermore, the issuer could have traced back to the identity of the people to whom the records belonged by putting together some information. In other words, the Google Home device was recording when it shouldn't have been. This is troublesome for Google, which said that the clippings it uses for research are "not associated with user accounts." . They listened to over 1,000 excerpts provided by a Dutch contractor and found that greater than 15 percent of the - 153 recordings in all - have been recorded without the user's knowledge.
Google did not immediately respond to a request for further comment.
Google said the transcription process was a necessary part of providing voice assistant technologies to its worldwide users.More news: Prime Day 2019: Waterproof speakers for all your pool party needs
"We have been informed that one of our language experts has violated our policies by sharing confidential audio data", writes Google.
However, VRT reporters could hear spoken home addresses in some of the recordings, and were able to track down the speakers.More news: Vodafone becomes latest telco to refund customers over unexpected bills
On that note, Google says it's now ready to investigate and take action against the contractor.
According to him, the language experts only review around 0.2 per cent of all audio snippets.
Google claims transcribing conversations in various languages is critical to building speech technology that understands all languages, accents and dialects.More news: Amazon Prime Day comes with protests by warehouse workers, pilots and engineers
- Netanyahu condemns his minister's remarks on gays
- North Korea says it's rethinking promises made to Trump
- US lawmakers seek to bar big tech firms from financial services
- Save $260 On Google Pixel 3 & 3 XL - Prime Day 2019
- 'Storm Area 51' Goes Viral on Facebook; Air Force Responds
- Ryanair forced to slash flights by Boeing 737 Max grounding
- An iPhone 6 Caught Fire in California
- Gears 5 clears any tobacco characters in the game
- R. Kelly's Associates Gave The FBI Tapes Leading To His Arrest
- Robbie Gould signs a new contract with the 49ers