"Subway service remains significantly disrupted across the system, although there is limited service on the 1/2/3 and 4/5/6 lines.", the Metropolitan Transportation Authority tweeted. "The first thing you learn is, let's get all the facts, and then we'll assess what to do".
Mayor Bill de Blasio told CNN said he had spoken with the police commissioner and the deputy commissioner who handles counterterrorism. "We're working to identify causes and keep trains moving".
ConEd says there are 42,000 without power on the west side of Manhattan.
A power failure struck the West Side of Manhattan on Saturday evening, plunging subway stations into darkness, stalling trains, stranding people in elevators and for a time leaving parts of Times Square without its customary bright lights.
The Office of Emergency Management told PIX11 News that FDNY, NYPD, and OEM are responding to the area. Several subway stations also have lost power, prompting trains that are running to skip those stations until power can be restored.More news: Duterte blasts 'idiot' critics as United Nations reviews Philippine drug war
"Members are responding to reports of numerous stuck elevators that are occupied", the tweet said.
A power failure in NY has halted subway trains and trapped people in lifts.
The New York City Fire Department said the fire started at West 64th Street and West End Avenue but did not say if that was the source of the outage.
"Several stations are now without power and are being bypassed by all trains", it posted on Twitter.
Power company ConEdison confirmed the blackout: "We are responding to extensive outages on the Westside of Manhattan".More news: At Vatican, empty tombs add new twist to missing girl mystery
Meanwhile, in Midtown west, in a neighborhood known as Hell's Kitchen, a man takes it upon himself to direct traffic.
The outage occurred on the 42nd anniversary of a NY blackout that crippled almost the entire city during a heat wave on July 13, 1977.
A blackout affects buildings in the Manhattan borough of NY, U.S, July 13, 2019.
The outage is believed to have affected the Rockefeller Center.
The CBS Broadcast Center was affected and turned to generator power.More news: Social Media Clampdown May Loom Amid Rampant Bias
- Angela Merkel opts to sit at ceremony after third bout of shaking
- Forty-something Tiger Woods burns bright in inspiring Serena Williams
- Star Trek actress Stephanie Niznik dead at 52
- Man Steals Car With Kids Inside. It Doesn’t End Well
- Huawei calls on US to lift export restrictions
- Irina Shayk Still Believe In Marriage After Bradley Cooper Split
- Police start probe of ambassador emails 'leak'
- Tyler Skaggs: Los Angeles Angels throw no-hitter while honoring late teammate
- Canada’s Kia Nurse named a starting guard for WNBA all-star game
- Nigeria’s Rohr wary of much improved Algeria