Eighteen-month-old Cedric Jackson was last seen at around 12:30 a.m.in the 9700 block of Whitehurst Drive in Dallas, police said.
Since the beginning of the year, five Amber Alerts have been issued in Ontario.
The toddler had recently been placed in the temporary custody of his aunt, who told police she put the boy to bed shortly after 11 p.m. on Tuesday and discovered him missing at around 6 a.m. Wednesday.
Pattenden described the grandfather as a "vulnerable person" who seemed to be confused when police located him and the boys.More news: Irina Shayk Still Believe In Marriage After Bradley Cooper Split
Harvey said that that given the period of time that had elapsed, police were concerned that the grandfather and the boys could be far from Toronto and at one point went so far as to notify the U.S. Border Service.
Police then located a man matching that description, 47-year-old Harold Johnson, but the child was not in his possession.
Anyone with information about the missing boy is asked to call Dallas police at 214-671-4268.
That sentiment was echoed by the Toronto police officers who found the family.More news: First confirmed case of measles in Ohio
CBS DFW also reported that the body of the missing boy was found at the landfill, citing law enforcement sources, as did WFAA, which cited both law enforcement sources and the boy's aunt. He was arrested on unrelated warrants and is in prison in Keller. NBC reports that Johnson is the boyfriend of the boy's aunt. "We don't know 100 percent of what happened, but we all loved that baby".
Another child in the home said he saw someone who looked like a particular relative, a step-grandparent, come in the apartment during the night.
YRK said the three were located by police in Toronto on Lake Shore Boulevard (about 60 kilometers away from the mall) at around 4:30AM.
"We were OK with that", Thomas said. A press conference was planned for Thursday afternoon.More news: Canada’s Kia Nurse named a starting guard for WNBA all-star game
- Prime Day Preview: New MacBook Air Just $999
- Star Trek actress Stephanie Niznik dead at 52
- Antoine Griezmann: Barcelona sign Atletico Madrid forward
- Angela Merkel opts to sit at ceremony after third bout of shaking
- Saguaro cactus impales car in Arizona crash
- Hong Kong protesters take aim at Chinese traders
- Teen bomber kills at least five at eastern Afghanistan wedding
- Man Steals Car With Kids Inside. It Doesn’t End Well
- Listen to Justin Bieber hop on Billie Eilish's hit song 'Bad Guy'
- Tottenham bid to beat Arsenal for St Etienne defender William Saliba