There are many more questions that need to be answered before that 18-game schedule can even get off the ground. However, even with the common perception that preseason games aren't exceeding helpful for teams, that idea has faced fierce resistance from the National Football League players union, who fear that two more regular season games would compound the already unsafe physical toll that players already take. The report cited an NFLPA analysis that an added two regular-season games for each team could increase revenue by $2.5 billion league-wide.More news: "Old Town Road" singer, Lil Nas X, headlining TwitchCon
The NFL and the NFL Player's Association (NFLPA) have begun their July negotiations on a new collective bargaining agreement (CBA) - with the hopes that all of the details for a new CBA can be ironed out before the start of the 2019 NFL regular season, with two years to spare. Based on the current proposal, there would be a 16-game limit per player which means teams would have to pick and choose which two games they want to sit players. "I haven't seen anything that makes me think that it would be good for the players".More news: Minecraft Earth en route in private beta
They'll also squeeze more money out of the pot and have the owners agree to have minimum salary requirements be raised, which will probably happen anyway during the collective bargaining process, but now they'll have more leverage in the amounts those minimums are raised. You tell someone you're going to work longer, and you figure out how to make it work? That solution would be used to protect the health of the players. "That doesn't work", Smith told ESPN.More news: Funeral held for ‘Dog the Bounty Hunter’ star Beth Champan
Smith is in Miami Beach for the weekend as part of the NFLPA's former player summer getaway, a link-up with retired players geared toward post-career professional development opportunities. "It's not our job to put that square peg in the round hole". Imagine teams like the New York Jets, Cleveland Browns, Pittsburgh Steelers, or Los Angeles Chargers having to use a backup kicker and punter for a couple of games. "It's a fact that he chose to make a decision as a grown man", Smith said.
- U.S. to hold hearing on French tax investigation Aug. 19
- Widespread Manhattan Power Outage Causes Broadway Cancellations and Delays
- Google to update News tab to emphasise on headlines
- Sudan military stop attempted coup, arrest involved security officers
- Police start probe of ambassador emails 'leak'
- The Invisible Man finds its star in Oliver Jackson-Cohen
- Simona Halep blitzes Serena Williams to win Wimbledon title
- Train carrying water to reach parched Chennai today: Railways
- Jeffrey Epstein: prosecutors accuse financier of witness tampering
- Geraint Thomas loses time to rivals after crash on Tour de France