"I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for her - I told her she was so inspiring and I've always wanted to tell her that but I've never had the guts to before".
"If you guys really want it, then maybe I'll do it", she added to reporters.
They'll face former French Open doubles champion Andreas Mies and partner Alexa Guarachi in the opening round.
"There's so many things to be admired".More news: Jenelle Evans allegedly ‘fabricated’ David Eason dog killing ‘for publicity’
Williams committed to the white and gold color scheme all the way down to her nails, wearing a white manicure with a gold crackle overlay effect and a gold rhinestone-covered accent nail. "I think above all that is just fantastic".
Williams, of course, is one of the most successful and famous athletes in history, someone who has transcended her sport as a global icon while winning 23 major singles championships, along with another 14 in women's doubles with her older sister, Venus.
Asked what she thought of the Williams-Murray partnership, Azarenka said: "Good luck to everybody else".
The Scot underwent a hip resurfacing operation after the Australian Open in an effort to extend his career - initially, he planned on retiring at Wimbledon - and duly returned in doubles at Queens in London last month.
"And I don't care if I really like something and someone thinks it is awful, it doesn't matter, That's the beauty of art - you like what you like and see it differently to other people".More news: Reckitt to pay $1.4 bln to end US opioid addiction treatment probes
Her story, said Williams, is a "great tale" of the value of persistence.
The deadline for signing up for mixed doubles at the tournament is Wednesday morning.
Williams spent a lot of the time chastising herself but eventually closed out the match breaking Gatto-Monticone's serve. You can tell he has a really strong woman in his life.
Jamie Murray teams up with Bethanie Mattek-Sands in another potent British-American combination, one that delivered grand slam success when they won the US Open together last September. Serena also went on to win the mix doubles title in 1998 with Max Mirnyi.More news: Police start probe of ambassador emails 'leak'
- Sudan military stop attempted coup, arrest involved security officers
- Google to update News tab to emphasise on headlines
- "Ball Four" author Bouton dies at age 80
- Johnson, Hunt cross swords over Brexit in testy debate
- Lynn expected to start as Rangers host the Astros
- Widespread Manhattan Power Outage Causes Broadway Cancellations and Delays
- U.S. to hold hearing on French tax investigation Aug. 19
- Matthijs de Ligt to Juventus: De Ligt out of Ajax tour squad
- Funeral held for ‘Dog the Bounty Hunter’ star Beth Champan
- Amir Khan beats Billy Dib to claim WBC international welterweight title