Power went out early Saturday evening at much of Rockefeller Center and reached the Upper West Side, according to the ConEd Outage Map. "Hadestown" cast members also staged a street-side performance. This also just happened to be the 42nd anniversary of the 1977 blackout in NY that lasted 25 hours.
The Fire Department said it was responding to a transformer fire at West 64th Street and West End Avenue.
Power was not restored until the next day.More news: Heidi Klum ties the knot with Tom Kaulitz in private ceremony
A number of movie theaters and subways were evacuated for people's safety and a number of people were reported trapped in elevators.
"We're getting reports of power outages in station complexes throughout Manhattan", the Metropolitan Transportation Authority said on Twitter.More news: Duterte blasts 'idiot' critics as United Nations reviews Philippine drug war
"40K without power is Armageddon", he wrote on Twitter.
Businesses have been left without electricity, elevators stuck and subway cars stalled.
'From what we're seeing at this moment, this is simply a mechanical problem and one, again, that sounds like it is addressable in a reasonable period of time, ' de Blasio said.
"We were stuck for about 75 minutes", said O'Malley, 57.More news: Police start probe of ambassador emails 'leak'
"People were having fun at first when the lights went out; it was something different", said the manager on duty at the Oxbow Tavern on Columbus Avenue and 71st Street, who declined to give his name. That outage was triggered by lightning strikes hitting two substations and came at a time where the city was already on edge by the Son of Sam serial murders.
- Star Trek actress Stephanie Niznik dead at 52
- Irina Shayk Still Believe In Marriage After Bradley Cooper Split
- First confirmed case of measles in Ohio
- Man Steals Car With Kids Inside. It Doesn’t End Well
- Nigeria’s Rohr wary of much improved Algeria
- Jenelle Evans allegedly ‘fabricated’ David Eason dog killing ‘for publicity’
- Canada’s Kia Nurse named a starting guard for WNBA all-star game
- Earthquake shakes Puget Sound; no damage reported
- Super 30 Day 2 in overseas
- Amazon’s music service is actually growing more quickly than Spotify