Arsenal, however, are still confident that the player will keep his word and join the club.
He claims that Spurs have offered €30m, plus bonuses, which is more than what Arsenal had already agreed with Saint Etienne.
Arsenal had delved deep in negotiations for the €30m rated defender but Saint-Étienne were unable to accept the payment structure suggested by Arsenal.
The news is a huge blow for Arsenal, who have endured a hard summer already in the transfer market.More news: Celtics Reportedly Waiving Guerschon Yabusele
Arsenal are also pursuing Celtic left-back Kieran Tierney, 22, and hope to recruit a central midfielder and winger.
Saliba, a France Under-20 worldwide, joined Saint-Etienne in 2016 and is one of the game's most highly-rated young centre-backs.
However, Tottenham have made a last-ditch attempt to secure the services of the France Under-20 worldwide by offering a marginally better deal.
Arsenal face having to give up a higher initial fee in order to beat Spurs, whose offer is all upfront.More news: Suspending Parliament for no-deal Brexit will provoke crisis - Hammond
But Spurs, who signed Tanguy Ndombele for a club record £53.8m this summer, have submitted a late bid.
Manchester United have also been linked with the Benfica centre-back, who has a release clause of £54m.
Meanwhile, the Gunners are now in turmoil with skipper Laurent Koscielny about to cop a fine for refusing to go on their pre-season tour.
The Gunners are reluctant to lose Koscielny for nothing and have opened disciplinary proceedings against the want-away defender.More news: Brazilian president to appoint his son as ambassador to US
- This is the Mi A3, Xiaomi’s new pure Android smartphone
- Tyler Skaggs: Los Angeles Angels throw no-hitter while honoring late teammate
- Duchesses Catherine and Meghan to attend Wimbledon women's final
- Nigeria’s Rohr wary of much improved Algeria
- Antoine Griezmann: Barcelona sign Atletico Madrid forward
- Hong Kong protesters take aim at Chinese traders
- First confirmed case of measles in Ohio
- At Vatican, empty tombs add new twist to missing girl mystery
- NASA Astronaut Recounts When Apollo 13 Mission Turned From Exploration to Survival
- China's June exports fall after US tariff hike, imports shrink