A vehicle bomb went off, followed by gunfire on Friday at a hotel in Somalia's port city of Kismayo, where local elders and lawmakers were meeting to discuss an upcoming regional election, police said.
The bombing was followed by a heavy gunfire.
Armed group al-Shabaab, which is believed to be linked to al-Qaeda and is trying to topple the Somali government, said it carried out a suicide attack. "We have not confirmed the death toll, but there were many people inside, and there may be a high death toll", police captain Abdullahi Isak told Reuters by phone. But it did not mention casualties by the attack.
"The militants drove into the hotel and made way into the building after detonating bombs".More news: Over 400,000 Facebook users pledge Area 51 raid: 'Lets see them aliens'
"Many of us could have lost our lives to bullets or hunger or diseases", she said of many Somalis who immigrated to Canada.
The latest information emerging from a hotel which the Al Qaeda-linked, Al Shabaab militants raided late afternoon in the coastal Somalia city of Kismayu disclose that the death toll is rising but can not be factually reported up to this moment as fighting for supremacy for the hotel grounds is still on.
"The blast rocked the popular Medina hotel formerly known as Cascasey which is located in downtown Kismayo", said Mohamed.
The area's legislators and local elders were discussing an upcoming local election in the hotel, according to the officials.More news: Amazon Is Building a Voice-Controlled Robot That's Like a 'Mobile Alexa'
"There are many unnecessary our bodies all throughout the hotel, including a unnecessary white man".
Abdiasis Abu Musab, al-Shabaab's militia operation spokesman, mentioned the militant crew became as soon as at the back of the attack and that combating became as soon as restful going on. "We control the hotel now".
Nur said Nalayeh's death is a tragedy, not only for the Somali community, but for Canada as a whole. The city's port had been a major source of revenue for the group from taxes, charcoal exports and levies on arms and other illegal imports.
Exterior of Kismayo, al-Shabaab restful controls parts of Jubbaland, a convey in southern Somalia.More news: Magnitude-4.6 Earthquake Rattles Seattle Area Awake
He adds that "Several gunmen entered and started shooting but the security forces responded quickly and engaged in a gunfight with the terrorists inside the building".
- Mom arrested after kid licks, puts back tongue depressor at doctor's office
- England must block out 'noise' ahead of World Cup final, says Bayliss
- Trump unloads on Paul Ryan after 'American Carnage' book excerpts
- Serena Williams battles burden of expectation before Simona Halep final
- Donald Trump blasts Facebook’s Libra, demands strict regulation
- Canada's Bombardier to lay off 550 workers at Ontario rail plant
- America's mayors brace for ICE raids: 'Frankly, we're in the dark'
- Sean Longstaff Won't Rock Newcastle Boat To Force Manchester United Move
- Westminster abortion vote represents the gravest attack on democracy in living memory
- Lukaku confirms desire to leave United