Gooden's vehicle was stopped by police in Holmdel, about 20 miles (30 kilometers) from NY, early on June 7 for failure to maintain a lane and driving too slow, according to a criminal complaint provided by the Monmouth County prosecutor's office. Officers said they found plastic bags with suspected cocaine in them, according to the criminal complaint.
In the documents obtained by The Post today, Gooden was charged with possession of an illegal narcotic in the third-degree, among another charge for carrying drug paraphernalia.
The 1985 Cy Young Award victor has a rap sheet that includes an arrest in 2010 for driving while intoxicated after a auto crash, and a suspension in 1995 for failing an Major League Baseball drug test.More news: Lukaku confirms desire to leave United
Gooden, 54, encountered drug troubles in his professional career and afterward.
The case is pending and no date has been set for his next court appearance.
The 1985 Cy Young Award victor has struggled with drug and alcohol addiction over the years.
Gooden was arrested in Franklin Lakes, New Jersey, after crashing his auto while under the influence of drugs in 2010.More news: Canada's Bombardier to lay off 550 workers at Ontario rail plant
In 2006, he served seven months in prison for violating terms of his probation for a drug-related offense. Gooden told the Post in 2016 that he had been sober since entering rehab in 2012.
The 1994 season was Gooden's last in a Mets uniform.
Gooden, affectionately known as "Doc" and "Dr. K", pitched to a 3.51 ERA across 16 seasons for the Mets, Yankees, Indians and Devil Rays.
Gooden won the Cy Young with the Mets in 1985 and was a member of the Mets' 1986 World Series championship team.More news: Donald Trump blasts Facebook’s Libra, demands strict regulation
- England must block out 'noise' ahead of World Cup final, says Bayliss
- Nebraska woman dies of West Nile virus
- Ford, Volkswagen promise details on electric, autonomous vehicle alliance
- Why Frank Lampard’s arrival could be the making of this Chelsea attacker
- Serena Williams battles burden of expectation before Simona Halep final
- Ivory Coast vs. Algeria - Football Match Report
- Acosta resigns as US Labor Secretary amid Epstein case
- Mueller offers to delay testimony to give lawmakers more time for questions
- ¥3.5 billion hacked from Bitpoint cryptocurrency exchange
- Lil Wayne Threatens to Quit blink-182 Tour