Monday, 14 October 2019
Latest news
Main » Duterte blasts 'idiot' critics as United Nations reviews Philippine drug war

Duterte blasts 'idiot' critics as United Nations reviews Philippine drug war

13 July 2019

The Philippine foreign minister, Teodoro Locsin, in a statement read by his ambassador in Geneva, denounced the resolution as a travesty of human rights that came "straight from the mouth of the queen in Alice in Wonderland".

The first resolution on the Philippines, led by Iceland, was adopted by a vote of 18 countries in favour and 14 against, including China. "It can not, in good conscience, abide by it".

"The resolution is grotesquely one-sided, outrageously narrow, and maliciously partisan", Panelo said in a lengthy statement.

Locsin also said that the adoption of the resolution has "no effect as such resolutions, especially those passed by a tiny minority, can and will be ignored".

Retired Roman Catholic Bishop Nicanor Yniguez (left) joins families of victims of alleged extra-judicial killings in President Rodrigo Duterte's "war on drugs".

More news: Prime Day Preview: New MacBook Air Just $999

The UN Human Rights Council voted on Thursday to set up an investigation into mass killings during Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte's so-called war on drugs, a step activists said was long overdue.

The Philippine president, known for his crude off-the cuff remarks, has faced criticism over his government's drug war, which has led to thousands of deaths, including extrajudicial killings of suspected drug dealers by police.

Fourteen countries rejected the resolution while 15 abstained from voting.

The resolution calls on national authorities, including the Filipino government, to take all necessary measures to prevent extrajudicial killings, arbitrary arrests and enforced disappearances.

The resolution comes amid calls from worldwide human rights groups for the United Nations to take action over the thousands of people killed in extrajudicial executions with impunity in the name of fighting drugs. "We will not tolerate any form of disrespect or acts of bad faith".

More news: No More Talk, Cyprus Wants EU Sanctions Over Turkish Drilling

The vote came against the backdrop of renewed worldwide scrutiny of Duterte's war on drugs, which three years on has remained as violent as ever. "There will be consequences, far-reaching consequences".

"The Philippines has failed to hold those responsible to account at home", Bequelin said. "To that responsibility, my President has made an iron, unwavering and total commitment; and it will not be weakened by this ill-fated resolution". Matar said, "It signals the start of accountability for thousands of "drug war"-related killings and other abuses, and will provide hope to countless survivors and families of victims".

Since then at least 6,600 dealers or users have been killed, according to police, but activists say more than 27,000 people have died.

"Let them state their goal and I will review", he said. Police say her father Renato had used her as a human shield.

Rights groups have hailed the United Nations vote as a small but significant step towards accountability for what they say amount to crimes against humanity - systematic cover-ups, planted evidence and summary killings by police operating with impunity. Duterte has fired off insults at United Nations human rights experts, and the government sought to have the expert on the rights of indigenous people, Victoria Tauli-Corpuz, declared a terrorist when she criticized the government's actions.

More news: Teen bomber kills at least five at eastern Afghanistan wedding

Duterte blasts 'idiot' critics as United Nations reviews Philippine drug war