According to Bloomberg, the retirement is unrelated to the crisis at Boeing caused by two deadly crashes involving the 737 Max aircraft and the worldwide grounding of the plane.
United said Friday that it is dropping its 14 Max jets from the schedule until November 3 - a month longer than previously planned.More news: Prime Day Preview: New MacBook Air Just $999
Described as a "quiet, get-on-and-do-it" engineer, Jenks spent half of his 36-year Boeing career on the 787 and an earlier alternative that was never launched, the Sonic Cruiser.
Jenks faces "daunting challenges, including untangling a backlog of undelivered planes, getting production back on course for planned output increases, and finishing development of the 737 MAX 10", sources told Reuters.More news: Popular TV show Friends leaves Netflix for new HBO service
The 737 MAX was grounded worldwide in March after an Ethiopian Airlines plane plunged to the ground soon after take-off, five months after a similar Lion Air fatal crash off the coast of Indonesia.
Boeing's single-aisle program, which includes the 737 and the NMA, will be run by Mark Jenks, Bloomberg reported. Still, cancellations are rising because United was counting on receiving more Max jets this year, but Boeing suspended deliveries in March. Preliminary reports highlighted the role of new flight-control software that pushed the planes' noses down. He said during his time running the 737 program, Lindblad "has navigated some of the most hard challenges our company has ever faced".More news: Save 33% on an unlocked phone from the Samsung Galaxy S10 series
Boeing Co. (BA.N) said 737 program chief Eric Lindblad is retiring after about a year in the post, triggering a leadership shuffle for another high-profile project: a proposed midrange jetliner.
- China's June exports fall after US tariff hike, imports shrink
- Sonia, Rahul Gandhi protest outside Parliament over crisis in Goa, Karnataka
- Mortal Kombat Movie Reboot is R-Rated And Has Fatalities
- Pence acknowledges 'tough stuff' at border detention centre
- Baker makes marijuana birthday cake, it was supposed to be 'Moana'
- Saguaro cactus impales car in Arizona crash
- Google is Working on Yet Another Social Network
- Irate Bagel Boss customer speaks to News 12 about viral tirade
- United Kingdom police launch investigation into leaked ambassador cables
- Marvin Brooks leaves Love Island villa