For the upcoming project, SpaceX will turn to its veteran spacecraft Falcon 9 to carry NASA's Imaging X-ray Polarimetry Explorer (IXPE) research vessel. You'd be surprised to find out it's actually less than the previous contract the space agency awarded SpaceX back in April, for the launch of the Double Asteroid Redirection Test (DART) mission.
The total launch cost for the mission has been listed at $50.3 million.More news: Court rules Iglesias is father
The mission critical design review (M-CDR) of NASA's Imaging X-Ray Polarimetry Explorer (IXPE) space-based astrophysics observatory was recently completed at Ball Aerospace's Boulder, Colorado, facility.
This mission cost less simply because SpaceX will be using a first stage booster that had previously been used. IXPE will be the lightest payload to ever launch on a Falcon 9, weighing in at only 710 lbs (320 Kg).More news: Ilhan Omar Floats Ad Boycott of Tucker Carlson
"SpaceX is honored that NASA continues to place its belief in our proven launch automobiles to ship necessary science payloads to orbit", Gwynne Shotwell, president, and chief operating officer of SpaceX stated in a company statement.
NASA has awarded SpaceX a contract to launch an advanced new observatory that will enable scientists to study some of the most exotic objects in the universe in unprecedented detail. The IXPE rocket is created to fly at a distance of 540 kilometers to the equatorial orbit at an inclination of 0 degrees.More news: Australian Freed from N. Korea Rejects Accusations of Espionage
Small science missions in astrophysics, Earth science and heliophysics had been the primary customers of the Pegasus XL. NASA has yet to announce a new launch date for ICON. The PUNCH mission was supposed to be executed on a rocket by Pegasus but the agency made a decision to launch it in a different spacecraft. The spacecraft will measure the polarization of X-rays from a variety of sources, from pulsars to active galactic nuclei. Astronomers are expecting a lot from the IXPE mission as they are hoping that it will help them in revealing the spin of black holes and help them in the new discoveries about the extreme magnetic fields around a special type of neutron star called magnetars.
- Qualcomm 215 Mobile Chipset for Budget Devices Announced
- Ross Perot, Billionaire and Former Presidential Candidate, Dead at 89
- The Nintendo Switch is getting a cheaper and more portable 'Lite' version
- Meghan Markle Faces Intense Scrutiny After Alleged Wimbledon Photo Ban
- Flash flood emergency issued for Washington metro area
- New Zealand stun India by 18 runs to reach World Cup final
- Borderlands 3 Multiplayer & Social Features: Ping System, Matchmaking, Twitch Integration Detailed
- Colts make no selections in 2019 Supplemental Draft
- Here's what some South Africans will do if Bafana Bafana beat Nigeria
- Feud between IndiGo promoters turns into full-blown war