Though Melvin Gordon's demands are breaking news, it's not new or unexpected news to any Chargers fan who has followed the recent history of running back contracts. His dissatisfaction with negotiations led him and his agent, Damarius Bilbo, to address the matter publicly in an effort to either secure a better offer or force a trade.
Chargers training camp is scheduled to open on July 24.More news: CannTrust Tumbles 22% as Canadian Regulators Seize Illegal Cannabis
During the Chargers' mini-camp last month, Gordon told reporters that his agent had engaged in some preliminary talks with the team about an extension.
Gordon, who was the No. 15 overall pick of the 2015 National Football League draft, is entering the final year of his rookie contract, which calls for him to earn $5.6 million this season.More news: Amazon internet satellites are the next big thing in tech
The Wisconsin product has led the Chargers in rushing in each of the last three seasons with an average of 996 rushing yards and 9.3 rushing touchdowns per season.
In June, Gordon said he was looking for a new deal, sooner rather than later. We're going to see. "If it's going to happen, it'll happen", he said. Despite the time lost, Gordon still made his second Pro Bowl in 2018 after also being voted into the game in 2016, his sophomore season in the league.More news: Trump signs executive order to improve kidney care
In 12 regular-season starts, he had 885 rushing yards and 10 touchdowns plus 50 catches for 490 yards and four more touchdowns.
- Eavesdropping Bug Forces Apple to Disable Walkie-Talkie App
- Elia Viviani sprints to victory on stage four of Tour de France
- Bruins sign RFA winger Heinen to 2-year contract
- Popular Dog Treat Linked to MDR Salmonella Outbreak
- Article image Antarctic glacial melt may cause irreversible sea level rise
- Ariana Grande Talks All-Consuming Grief Over Mac Miller
- 7-Eleven Day: How to get a free Slurpee on Thursday
- Nicki Minaj Pulls Out Of Saudi Arabia Festival, Gives Reason
- Why Apple's 'troubles' may not go away with 2019 iPhones
- Wilfried Zaha’s supposed move to Arsenal faces new dilemma